Sunday, August 28, 2005

Can I Get A Witness

Today we had a lesson on how to be a witness. A visiting preacher came in and gave an amazing sermon. We were told that when she comes to preach the spirit moves and that is a perfect description of what happened today. I often forget about that part of Christianity. I don't always witness for fear of offending. I feel uncomfortable talking about God and my beliefs before I know I'm surrounded by other Christians. But today Reverend Daniels put it into words that reached me. Why don't I want to share the best news I have ever heard? If I heard of a way to save the lives of every person I know or meet, wouldn't I make sure I shared that good news with every person? Well, that is exactly the circumstance I find myself in. Reverend Daniels said she didn't make many friends in seminary by telling people she felt we are all surrounded by the lost and will be held accountable for not sharing the good news with them. She said that God will not ask how many people we brought to Christ, but we will be asked if we even tried. She gave us so many ways to witness that I can't say that I'm uncomfortable witnessing anymore. I am not someone who likes to start up conversations with others even when the topic is as simple as the weather. I realize there are other ways. I need to remember that my behavior and my lifestyle is a witness to others of my beliefs. One of the things Reverend Daniels said that really stuck with me is that my family and household are witnesses. Screaming, yelling, chaotic households don't witness well for Christ. I need to remember that next time I feel myself getting out of control within my own household. I should realize by now that my three year old son is a walking reflection of the behavior he sees in his own home. What a better witness than a three year old who models the Christlike behavior in his home? Quite a goal to set for Joey and I, but no reason not to try and witness that way. We also witness by surrounding ourselves by other Christians and going to church. Getting involved. There is no way to touch lives by staying home and avoiding others. Surrounding ourselves with the lost, is the only way to lead them to Christ. I have heard so many times that we don't know who we touch and why. If we make the effort to put ourselves out in the world and live our lives for others to see, that is sometimes all the witness they need.
Reverend Daniels ended with the one I'm struggling with the most lately. I am struggling with prayer. But I need to get back to prayer in my life and remember to talk daily with the One who gives me strength to be that witness. I know God talks through Reverend Daniels. She is an amazing witness and leader. I am not, but that doesn't mean that I can't reach someone or touch someone's life. Maybe I never will touch anyone. I don't think that is for me to know or worry about. I just need to be able to tell my Father proudly that I tried.

1 comment:

Kellee said...

I can not tell you the number of times you witnessed to me. I know that someday your Father will tell you, "Well done, good & faithful servant."

Remember what I "told" you in my blog..."your steady ways & walk with Christ keep me going at times."


Love you!

P.S. Tell Joey he needs to start updating his blog more often.

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet