
A few weeks ago Nathan came home from school talking about Piggy Pie. He talked about it for several days until we finally looked it up online and found out that he was talking about a book. He decided that is was a book he just had to add to his collection and so Joey took him to the book store and they got it.
We both have read it to him a million times since then. It is actually quite cute and I really like it.
However...
Nathan, who was sleeping soundly through the night in his own bed for the last few months, is now waking up every night crying for us and refusing to sleep alone. At times he doesn't want to be alone in the house during the day either. He doesn't want to go to the bathroom alone or to his room to get dressed. Yesterday he was very scared of everything at the zoo until we met up with friends and he seemed to forget about it. He has gone from a very independent child to a very scared and clingy one. I have to say I have not handled it very well so far. Last night God sent me a reminder of how I should be handling it in the form of a memory.
When I was little I was terrified of The Three Little Pig story. We kept it way up on a high shelf in my closet during the night, but I always wanted it out during the day. I had this same strange love-hate relationship with that book that Nathan has developed for Piggie Pie. I can still remember exactly what that book looked like and still have clear memories of my room at bedtime with the closet light on and my mom or dad putting the book in its spot for the night.
So now I'm going to try and understand what Nathan is going through and not be so frustrated that he is requiring more help from his mommy again. I know he won't be dependent on us forever. It is just a phase. Didn't my mom say that on the phone the other evening? I wrote it off as something a grandmother says because she's too far away to really understand, but she has been there, done that.
I don't have the right words to say. I don't know what my parents said to me about The Three Little Pigs and I don't remember what I needed to hear. I am going to have to come up with something. A friend sprays Bath and Body Works body spray in her daughter's room every evening telling her it is a sort of "monster repellent". So far I have been focusing on saying "there are no witches" or "that witch isn't real"...
I keep getting responses like, "Gritch the Witch is in Piggy Pie though" or "There's a witch in wizard of Oz". Both valid points, of course.
I am not on his level with that logic so I'm going to have to come up with some kind of good magic to balance the "bad magic" of Gritch the Witch. I'm open to suggestions!
3 comments:
Oh my! Once again we're living parrallel lives. Garrett too has become extra, super-duper clingy lately. And he's constantly asking, "Do you still love me?" It was hard at first & I was very sympathetic. Now though it's getting to be a bit irritating & I am really having a hard time with it. The worst is when it's happening before school or God-forbid I'm the last parent to pick him up. He's perfectly fine once he gets into class but the build-up beforehand is a killer.
All of this to say that I feel your pain. If you need to commiserate, e-mail me. I've talked to his teachers & the school administrators & it is a phase apparently. It sure is an annoying one.
P.S. We are using a coin Tony got at West Point as Garrett's "bravery medal". He has it with him at all times. He LOVES "The Wizard of Oz" so we equate it with the Cowardly Lion's courage medal. It does help some. I love the B&BW idea. I'll have to remember that if we ever go thru the monster stage.
Also, I think we'll stay away from "Piggy Pie" for a while too. We don't need any "help" if you know what I mean!
((HUGS))
I have always been so sympathetic with him being afraid at night, but I guess I just thought we were done with that. I forget he is still so little sometimes because he has grown up so much to me. Nathan asks me if I love him or if I'm mad at him too. We talk a lot about how Mommy gets upset at things he does or things that happen, but that I always love him and that I'm not mad at him.
One of the things I'm learning with this parenthood thing is that just because we got through a "phase" or a "stage" once, doesn't mean, we're all done.
Post a Comment