Thursday, May 18, 2006

One-Uppers


Nathan has that little kid competitiveness going on with our 7 year old neighbor, Kathleen. When she says she can only play for 30 more minutes because she has to go to her friend's house, Nathan is quick to say he has to go home in 20 minutes and he is going to his friend's house too, "right Mom?"
She often can't come out to play when she gets home from school because she has to do her homework. It wasn't long before Nathan was one-upping that as well. She and her brother, Liam, came running to our house as soon as we pulled into the driveway when I picked them up from school one afternoon. Thinking Nathan would be scrambling to get his seatbelt off and run out to greet them, I was very surprised when he matter-of-factly told her, "I can't play right now. I have to do my homework".
A couple of weeks ago I was making dinner and Nathan came in to ask what we were having. "Chicken and macaroni and cheese".
Kathleen quickly asked, "What kind of mac and cheese?" It was just shells and cheese since we have had the character mac and cheese rejected by Nathan before.
Quickly, Kathleen pointed out that she was having Spiderman macaroni and cheese. This time her one-upping worked. Nathan was very distraught that he was having plain old shells and cheese and asked why we didn't have Spiderman mac and cheese. I could tell Kathleen was pleased that she had won.
Yesterday I decided to make a frozen pizza for dinner and when I told Nathan what we were having, he immediately turned to Kathleen to tell her smugly, "We're having pizza for dinner".
Kathleen responded with, "Oh, I'm having Spiderman macaroni and cheese". (Smart girl, she remembered it had worked last time).
Well, NOT this time...Nathan lowered his eyes and looked at her in his smug, sarcastic way (something he has learned from both Kathleen herself and the girls of Full House) and said, "You have that every night?"
So, in case you're wondering, pizza trumps leftover Spiderman mac n cheese in our world.

1 comment:

Kellee said...

Too funny! Nathan is quick. Soon (if he's like Garrett), he'll be one upping that little sister of his too.

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet