Friday, October 06, 2006

H is for Hannah and Hard!


This week has been a tough one. Hannah may not be two by the calendar, but in every other way, she has hit the "terrible twos". I feel like I need to wake up and put my boxing gloves on every morning because it begins from the moment she wakes up. The whining, the kicking and screaming fits, the constant "Hold me!"s, the screaming that echoes off of the walls and ceilings in every room of the house...
No fun at all. I am actually looking forward to working tonight and sleeping tomorrow while Daddy deals with this behavior for a while. I know I'm going to miss her like I always do when I am away from her on the weekend, but that is actually a benefit. I am refreshed and a whole lot more patient after a break. And I don't mean the kind of break where I close the door to the bathroom in which she has thrown herself to the floor yet again, so that I can walk away and not let her see my teeth and fists clenched in frustration. During this break, which happened this morning, I had to inform Nathan that I was taking a time out from Hannah. He stood next to the door the whole time with a very concerned look on his face, eliciting mommy guilt by the way. The irony is, later when Hannah was trying to play on the computer at the same time he was, I found Nathan pushing her into the bathroom. I'm sure you can guess what his plan was.

*The picture was taken at our nephew's birthday party. She was mad because she did NOT want the balloon tied to her shorts. Enough to make anyone scream in fury, right?

1 comment:

~Shelia said...

I know I shouldn't laugh, but I am a little. I know your frustrations all too well. I have a strong-willed, stubborn, independent, loving, sweet daughter. She too has been known to throw unbelievable hissy fits about having a baloon tied to her (among other seemingly simply things). Her screams can peel the paint from the walls. She melts into crying jags in the flicker of second. I am still trying to decide if it is just her personality and temperament that lies behind it all, or because she is, well, a girl. She and Duncan share a lot of the same traits, but there are some things that are becoming apparent as simply "girl".

I take lots of time outs from the kids. Saves my sanity, and saves on our prescription bills (for say... valium, or any other thing that takes the edge off!)

Pick your battles, hug her lots, and keep those time outs coming... and when all else fails, hand her to Dad, and go get a manicure! (

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet