Thursday, October 25, 2007

La Langue...Die Sprache


Because it is very difficult to live in such an international city and not be, I am becoming more and more intrigued with languages and language learning. My French classes are going very well and I am fascinated with the process of learning a language as an adult. I am also exposed to many people teaching their very young children other languages and find it very interesting watching and learning from them as well. I am finding myself using my newly learned French vocabulary to point out things to our children and even reaching into the dusty part of my brain to point out the words in Spanish as well. A good friend and language teacher, Maestra Jen, has pointed out that their brains can take all of the language input and do incredible things with it. Before we left Michigan, we had the kids in Spanish classes with Maestra Jen and we were all loving it. Hannah was not very verbal at all at the time and still remembers many of the songs and phrases we learned in that class. Once I learned that she has a blog, I added it to our list of friends. I hope everyone will take a look at it. She has some great information and ideas for helping children get started learning a second language. She also shared this amazing site with me and I am really enjoying reading about so many other families teaching their children a second language. We are so blessed to know so many families in the US and here who are bilingual. If any of you haven't checked out these sites, I think you will really enjoy them. You guys are so amazing and doing great things for your families. Keep up the good work!

No comments:

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet