For the sake of our family's memories, I have decided to go ahead and share this somewhat embarrassing glimpse into some of my darkest hours when going it alone in the house...
With Daddy gone last week, I might have had a few mommy meltdowns and I might have said a few things that: A. Don't make all that much sense and B. Are just a tad bit inappropriate in a very loud voice. On the plus side, if I did, in fact, say some of these things, one child at least does listen to what I say, er, um yell.
This weekend our lovely Hannah, the good little listener that she is, reverberated some of what she learned last week while Daddy was away...
On Friday morning before school, she looked up at me from her breakfast and said, "Mommy, you know some people do not tidy up their house and then mouses come to live there with the kids and the mommy has to go away with the policeman. That is why we need to tidy up our house so that our mommy can stay here instead of the mouses."
I must say she remembers even more details of my rant than I do, but I do have some memory of "explaining" why we clean up after screaming at my children about the mess that had become our home.
Yesterday during bath time she turned to Nathan and said, "We have to wash ourselves. You know in college you wash yourself, right?" (Daddy witnessed this and even without being present for the original statement, he knew the reference).
Ummmm....might she be referring to something along the lines of, "You guys need to start washing yourselves! (Insert the usual reference to their ages just in case they have forgotten) I am not going to be washing you in college!"? Yeah, I might have said something like that...
(See that smiling guy in the first picture? That would be our Daddy. Daddy made it to the school's International Festival this past Friday so we all got to try lots of yummy food from all over the world and we all got to celebrate all of the different cultures represented in the school. Would you believe Daddy is home ALL week? You can't see me right now, but I am doing the happiest happy dance ever---a little like the happy dance I was doing last night after watching a certain football team play/win, but no, this happy dance is happier.)
2 comments:
Oh the things that we say:) What this tells me though is that you have one highly intellegent daughter!!! I have a feeling that makes our even hard job harder.
It's so nice to know that I'm not alone when it comes to 'losing it' when you're doing the single parenting thing every other week! :-) I've had a few doozies over the last few days myself with Ken gone. Someone asked me once how I do it when he's gone and my response was something like: 'I sacrifice my career, my physical and mental health, and potentially my children's psychological stability!' Hopefully, I'm not really sacrificing that last one (although I'm sure of the 1st three!), but yeah, my words during those days come back to haunt me later!!!
Post a Comment