Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Conversations



Everyone should be able to have a conversation with a 4 year old once in a while. Although our particular 4 year old can be exasperating at times--mornings and socks are especially challenging at the moment--, she can also be a delightful conversationalist. I love this stage as she takes in the world and she is old enough to express things so that we can see it through her eyes.



While driving home one afternoon she pointed out a cat in the road to her brother and sister. She then turned to Nathan and said, "We can't have a cat though, because you know why? Because Daddy has issues". (We did have a conversation not long ago about how Daddy has allergies, but I promise I am not discussing any of our "issues" with my children. Not that we have any issues anyway, right?)



While eating some vanilla yogurt, she picked up the container decorated with flowers and said, "Oh, so this is what butterflies taste like?" (Those flowers did look a lot like butterflies on closer inspection).



She has fallen in love with my old poodle skirt made by my grandmother. It will fit her in about 6 or 7 years, but for now she rolls it up and wears it anyway. I asked her if she knew what it was called. She answered, "A skirt".

I asked, "Who does that dog look like?" She answered, "Max".

I asked, "What kind of dog is Max?" She answered, "He's white and small and he's not here. Can we get a cat? Or maybe a hamster?" (Thus followed the conversation about Daddy's allergies to cats...it was long and many questions were asked. Perhaps she drew her own conclusions about Daddy having "issues").


While helping me bake chocolate chip cookies, she turned to me and said, "When I grow up do you know what I want to be?" (I asked her what). She said, "A mom. No actually, your mom so that I can take care of you too". (Gulp).


There are so many more, but in the craziness of our lives, they get lost. I wish I could just freeze time in those moments and write down her sweet words, or better yet, record the sweet sound of her voice as she says things. This is my weak attempt at capturing the moment and in the midst of being her mom, the mom of two others, a wife, a daughter, a sister, a friend and all of those other random hats I wear on different days, it will have to suffice. I know she knows, but it never hurts to see it written down or hear it over and over. I love this little miss...morning sock challenges and all. Just crazy about her.




No comments:

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet