Tuesday, June 30, 2009

You Say Goodbye, I Say Hello


Hannah Checking On Dribble


Letting Dribble Play in the Tub (Just like in the book)



Hannah and Adelynn


Avery, Adelynn and Sarah
(These 3 met as babies...Adelynn has gone on
to Tulsa and Avery leaves this summer for
Colorado).



Sliding on their last park day with the Spuhler
Family

Enjoying park time and popsicles with the boys
on the first day of summer



Girls with good friend Ally enjoying popsicles, park
and swimming



Sarah with Ally on last day of school



For me this expat roller coaster life hasn't gotten any easier. We've been saying goodbye to friends ever since we got here, but this time of year means big group goodbye parties and there are so many we haven't been able to fit them all in. We just missed a very special one this past Saturday. Three families we've grown very close to over the last two years have ended or are ending their time here this summer. It was hard not to be there (especially considering where we were instead...more on that later), but honestly, I am emotionally drained and kind of a mess even without going.



Today has been especially hard for some reason. I've been thinking about my little brother turning 29 today and how I'd love to give him a hug and just hang out with him. I've thought several times about how we have no plans this coming Saturday and how it will just be another day here in Belgium. I've been in tears over my house covered in Play-doh and cut up paper as I sat for a 4 1/2 hour haircut and color in my own house with two little girls on the loose. All cleaned up now. No reason for tears. I've been in tears over my haircut and then over the slingbox that hasn't been working for 5 days. Nothing tragic. I even cried while watching HSM 3 tonight with the kids (I can't believe Gabriella left!). I'm just homesick and everything feels a little more sad than normal. I repeatedly assured the kids that I am fine, but just missing home right now. Both Nathan and Hannah were very perplexed at how I could be missing home when I am at home. (Just typing that brings tears). I love that they are home here and that they are happy and well adjusted. It helps, a little.



Otherwise, summer is in full swing. Dare I say it is hot in Belgium? I say anything over 30 C is hot without a/c and it has been that warm for the past several days and no rain! What is this place?



The Phipps family, who headed back to Tulsa yesterday, cushioned the blow of their leaving by passing on the care of a sweet little friend who most likely would have not made it past the security checkpoint at the airport. They were happy to find him a good home and honestly, even if he is just a turtle who poops entirely too much considering the size of his meals, it has been a lot of fun to have him around the past couple of days. The timing was perfect as we just finished reading "Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing" to Nathan. Though the turtle did come with a name and we are the 3rd (possibly 4th) family to have adopted him, Nathan changed his name from "Virgil" to "Dribble" immediately. He has handled the name change well. He does seem bothered by all of the attention. We've learned that his poops get larger when frightened. Daddy even brought him a new house yesterday after work. I find little "gifts" left outside of his little house throughout the day...a plastic glow in the dark turtle, the little box covered in shells that Hannah made me for Mother's Day, my book light clipped nearby as a nightlight, a rubber ducky and froggy from the tub...and the best suggestion by Hannah was the sushi she had for lunch today, but thankfully she ran that one by me first. He lives in Nathan's room and Nathan has been checking up on him even during the night. According to our little night watchman, he does not put his head into his shell when sleeping, but he does close his eyes and sometimes he does pull in his arms and legs. I caught him just waking up this morning and he is cute with his little eyes closed.


I'm hopeful that he is as hardy as his previous family claimed because I don't think our family could take the loss right now. We've grown attached. Possibly due to another pet we're missing.



I find it amusing that I was thinking our summer schedule would feel calmer somehow. Am I new here? Did I forget that all three little people who live here would be here all day? Did I also forget that their friends would be calling and asking them to play or coming by? So far summer has been busy. They are staying up later and sleeping later, which is nice, but the days are going by quickly.




Unfortunately for us, the goodbyes aren't over, but there will also be some hellos mixed in this summer. We look forward to those and as we try to remind ourselves each time, each goodbye is just 'bye for now.





The Phipps spent their last night in Brussels with us since we had to miss the party. We had to crash their hosts' home on a school night and we are so thankful they let us get in some last minute fun. Ugh, goodbyes stink!





1 comment:

Katie said...

I read yesterday but I wanted to say: You are doing something unbelievable. Life as an expat can not be easy, but the product is unrivaled. Memories and experiences are everything.

As for the turtle, River is begging for an animal, all his own. I'm thinking turtle. Our good friend Kat and I co-parented a turtle named Midge. We shall see.

Really though, I always love reading you and keeping up with your family. Three cuties!!

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet