Friday, September 04, 2009

My Mamma Said












Ahhhhh, this morning we finally had flow. All three kids were up without nagging and there were no arguments about clothing choice or socks. There was no screaming, fighting, hitting or biting. Kids were ready to go almost too early. Drop off was an actual drop off. Car door opening and closing behind the 2nd grader who has not once noticed that we have been waiting around for him to go into the building on days prior. A quick backwards wave from the seasoned preschooler. Toilet usage by the one left behind.

After a week of "one of those days", it feels so good to have a good one. This week has been highly emotional for the females in this household. Each morning has begun with very good intentions on the part of the mom, but has resulted in a battle of wills. Tears and frustration coming from our middle child without warning. Tears and frustration from the younger female continuing most of each day. Afternoons have been more tears and frustration. All week long I have heard my "mamma's" voice in my head describing my teenage years. "We never knew what we were going to get from you when we said, 'Hi'..." Was I really this challenging this early? Should I start picking out boarding schools for her teenage years? (I'm totally kidding. We can't afford boarding schools. :0)

I have mostly spent the week feeling guilty that I'm not that mom who can make it work. My teenage personality rears its ugly head when I have not had a break from mommyhood all day. I am not fresh and able to cope with her mirroring personality. I mean, who does well in a battle against her mini me?

I have had countless conversations with other moms this week looking for the reassurance I need that I am not setting my children up for a lifetime of counseling and most of them are absolutely shocked that Hannah would ever be a challenge or strong willed child. She is such a great kid and I see her public side holding up well even when she is right in the middle of letting me have it. It occurred to me that each of these friends would probably say the same of me. I save my less flattering moments for home.


Focusing on now. A good morning after a relatively good evening considering we had an extra kid until after bedtime. (His dog had to be put to sleep suddenly and his parents were taking care of things as to not traumatize him. Hard fact of life for kids.)


Not only was it a good morning, but the afternoon is looking good as well. Little Miss ate her lunch and then started walking upstairs by herself. She said, "I go bed and then I wake up". I was doubtful, but she climbed into her bed with some books and pulled up the blanket. So far, silence. Ahhhhh.





Pictures from birthday cake prep with two enthusiastic tasters and the final result. Someone in the family was disappointed that the cake wasn't part of the birthday post. Hopefully this will make him/her feel better.

2 comments:

The Boos from Booville said...

Girl - I hear you about battling the little mini-me's. My two daughters remind me of me when they are stubborn and and picky about clothes and hair. I too was one of those teenagers and I know I am getting paid back. Brad is fearing when they get older. Anyway, I am glad you had a good day today. The cake looks great too - I'm impressed!

The Crites Family said...

Too bad I'm not still there so I could overly-reassure you that YOU ARE NOT ALONE! :-) Loved your little parenthetical comment about the boarding school. ;-)

Have a great weekend and Happy Labor Day while overseas!

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet