E-X-T-E-N-S-I-O-N, Extension.
Each week Nathan brings home a spelling list and he has to write each word 5 times and write "an interesting" sentence using each word correctly. Because we missed half of the week last week, he only had two evenings to catch up and get ready for Friday's test and it wasn't pretty. One of those evenings he was E-X-H-A-U-S-T-E-D and the other he had soccer practice until 7:30. Despite the ugliness, he got the writing all done.
The list had plenty of "normal" second grade words: crush, shut, such, huge, flute....and suddenly the word, "Extension" appeared. To be fair and (in hindsight) it was capitalized and in bold print, but I called it out to him and had him spell it and then use it in a sentence. Actually I worded the sentence for him because he did not know what it meant. He wrote: "I would like an extension on my vacation". Clever, no?
I did wonder why the words went from a nice three letter word, "use" to the harder, more letter word "extension", but the words that followed were: October, nerves, sweat and brain. Their unit of inquiry includes the five senses and I just thought it was a super, duper bonus word.
Today Nathan came home and informed me that I was wrong. That word was not a word he should have learned to spell or use in a sentence. Along with extending vacations and body parts, one can extend spelling lists by using the word: Extension.
I was tired and jet lagged last week. And just in case that isn't a good enough excuse. When I looked back at the lists before our trip, the extra words on the list were called "Bonus words". There was a list that read "Extension words" in the week we missed and I guess his teacher figured we should have had it figured out by last week. Hence the shortened description and my confusion. Ah well, my son now knows how to spell "extension" and use it in more than one sentence.
I took a picture of this week's list (again in my defense). This week she didn't even capitalize "extension". If it hadn't been pointed out, my son would have again written this word 5 times and another sentence. Perhaps: "We took so many pictures on our trip to Hong Kong that my mom would like an extension on the expectation that she has a new post on her blog soon". I'm strict like that.
1 comment:
I was just having the hw conversation with my neighbor. I asked her how much hw her kiddos had. I am not looking forward to the hw stage at all:)
Post a Comment