After going through tons o pictures for Hannah's birthday post and uploading many more with the goal of making an actual photo book for my middle child (and hopefully one for the youngest eventually), nostalgia has been huge around here. We have a photo slideshow as a screensaver now and if I had known the entertainment value, I'd have had that going a lot sooner. The girls especially will opt to sit in front of the computer watching pictures go by rather than playing or watching TV. They love it.
The folder we have going now is 2008 and some of the pictures are from our last trip back home. Too long ago. We were so fortunate to have our great friends from Plano (from our first family Sunday School class) take time out from their busy lives to visit us. Our kids don't really remember each other, but at least ours have heard enough stories to think they do.
I miss these girls so much. I miss knowing what they are up to and how those little people in the picture and those too busy playing to pose are doing.
Like these. When Hannah saw this picture pop up she said, "Oh look at that baby!" She doesn't know little Patrick. He came along quite a while after we moved to Michigan and this was the first time we got to see him (even though his mom was so awesome to come and see us just a few weeks after he was born two years ago!)
I know all of the stories are confusing to our kids at times, but I also know that if we keep talking, they will stick. There is a beautiful pink bear hand made by my friend Susan (often confused by Hannah with my Aunt Susie who made the big Raggedy Anns that also sit on her bed) and for the last 4 1/2/ years the bear has been high on a shelf. I wanted to save it and keep it protected I guess. One day she asked to have it down and my idea of protecting it seemed ridiculous. She wants to love it and enjoy it and Susan made it for her. So I gave it to her and we talked about Miss Susan and Gracie and Lucy and Patrick. We talked about the Dora doll that Gracie "gave" to Nathan when he played with it every time he visited and how much all three of them have loved that doll. (Gracie was 2 and she actually had no idea that she was giving it away--this bedtime Dora is very loud and her parents were not all that sad to see her go. She started "talking" as we snuck her out to our car and everyone had to talk very loudly to cover up Dora, lest Gracie realize just how generous her parents were being ;0)
We've also shared with Hannah pictures of Angie and Peanut and told her about the beautiful cross with her name and a very significant Bible verse on it. At the time it just seemed like chance, but there is no chance. Just God.
The cross in our front yard (the going away gift from Miss Angie, Miss Susan and Miss Kellee and others) that went from Texas to Michigan to Belgium. They all know that.
They know that I was the nurse who gave Miss C her first bath when she was born and how very special that was to all of us.
Lately all of these friends have been on my heart so much. This will be the first time going back home that we won't be close enough to make the trip to Plano to see them. We miss them and even though we know that life has gone on and all of us have changed so much, we truly feel a closeness with these friends that can't be explained by anything other than a closeness formed with God.
As we have moved around quite often, we have made it a priority to keep in touch with friends each time. We honestly feel that once a friend, always a friend (That's a quote from our friend, Amanda. She put into words what I've always felt). We don't know the day to day life stuff, but when God puts one of them on my heart, prayers go up immediately. We all need prayers and God knows what it is even when I don't.
I know at least one of you girls still reads this blog on occasion...for the other two, I'll send another "you're on my heart" e-mail. I know you know, but I miss yall and love yall.
1 comment:
What a sweet post. Thank you for including me in that group. I miss you guys and wish we could see you on your trip home. Hope all your travels go well. Hugs!
Angie
Post a Comment