Friday, February 12, 2010

Rite of Passage

About 8 months ago, we got a phone call from Nathan while he was playing at a friend's house after church.  He had to let us know immediately that he had his first loose tooth.  He was almost certain it would fall out before he came home that afternoon.
Once he did get home, we each tried the wiggle test.  It was a pretty big stretch to call the tooth loose, but if he held his head just so...we could tell.  (Sort of).  Needless to say, it did not fall out that afternoon.  Months later, he was still wiggling with all of his might watching his friends' teeth (and much to his dismay, some of his friends' younger sisters' teeth!) fall out by the droves.  He has been a good sport through it all.  He takes comfort in the fact that his daddy had similar woes.
This morning after flossing, he came running downstairs to show me just how loose his tooth was.  This time I didn't have to conduct any tests.  I did my best to pull it the rest of the way out, but I was afraid to hurt him and it just didn't quite seem like it was ready.  (A friend of mine said that she gets the "heebie jeebies" about wiggling and pulling loose teeth.  When she said that, I didn't really understand, but today I did.  "Heebie jeebies" all over the place...shudder).
Today was a busy day in the life of this mom.  At the last minute I learned the party moms for Hannah's Carnaval party were not going to be able to make it, and as the home room mom, I was filling in.  It actually was a very nice party and another mom came to help.  I really didn't have to do much but bring a few snacks and show up since the original party moms had already planned everything.  But still it was a PreK party that included a craft, face painting and a game of pass the parcel.  Long day.
By the time pick up came around, I had forgotten about the loose tooth.  I had forgotten until I saw my very excited son (dressed as a Longhorn football player in his jersey, sweatpants with eye black in place for today's Carnaval parade) running toward us.  He showed me the place where his tooth used to be and then told me all about how it happened.  Apparently, it got much looser during lunch and he stayed in all during lunch recess until he got it out.  Giving up outdoor recess is huge for this guy.  I learned that he had to go to the nurse to get an envelope and the tooth was tucked safely away in his backpack.
He called Daddy using my "mobile phone" (his words) on the way home from school, but got no answer.  Rather than leaving him disappointed, we called Nana and Papa to let them know the good news.  Daddy called during that phone call.  Daddy had heard the "methath" that Nathan left when he said, "He'th not available right now.  Thould I leave a methath?"  So Daddy had a pretty good idea what the "methath" might be.
Tonight he asked if he could put it under his pillow.  Of course he has heard about the tooth fairy from everyone (and their sisters) with all of the lost teeth.  We put it in a plastic bag so that it wouldn't get lost, but he didn't want to close it, lest we prevent easy tooth fairy access.  I thought I'd better ask what he thought the going rate was for teeth these days.  Because I've heard about the allowances of some of his friends I wasn't completely shocked when he said that some of them had gotten as much as 20 Euros for a first tooth.  Still I scoffed and laughed and said, "Wow.  Well their tooth fairy must be very rich". 
His reply?  With a grin and a little giggle, "Well, I hope mine is too".

After my own little "survey" of my son, I decided I simply had to know if there was a "going rate" for the tooth fairy.  I asked him if he would like to have the American Tooth Fairy or the Belgian Tooth Fairy come.  (I was basically asking if he was expecting dollars or euros).  So then I started wondering if Belgians even belive in the tooth fairy...There is a lot of information on the Internet.  Either last year or the year before (because many of these kids started losing their teeth in kindergarten or first grade), Nathan brought home a little paper box that he made in French class.  I think I remember that it had "la petite souris" written on it and I know it had a picture of a tooth on it...pretty sure the Belgians go with the tooth mouse.  Better than the tooth rat in The Philippines I guess. 
Sweet dreams Little Man.

No comments:

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet