I know there were safety issues in Belgium, but we remained unaware most of the time. During the last few weeks of school another parent warned me about "a man in a blue van" who was driving around trying to "pick up little boys". I got this warning on a day when my son (a little boy) happened to be going home with a family who lives in walking distance of the school and I wasn't sure if he would be walking home with his friend and older brother or not, but I called and checked with butterflies in my stomach. He had walked home with them and the mother was thankful for the warning I passed along.
However, since we've been back, I've felt a different kind of awareness of safety than I felt in Belgium. I was more concerned about the possibility of someone taking my stuff than I was about someone taking my kids. Not that I'm suddenly paranoid, but it just feels different.
It started at Nathan's well-check last week. We did not really do the "well-check" thing in Belgium. Generally we saw the doctor if we needed to and while we were there he might mention that a vaccine was due and if so we scheduled an apointment to get it (after going to the pharmacy to pick it up). We hadn't been to the doctor in a while for any of the kids and I was feeling like they were going to be so far behind on their vaccines. I had also heard from another mother just before we moved that a friend of hers moved home from Belgium and had the beginning signs of Rickets! Suddenly I was worried. Did we get enough Vitamin D the last 3 years? Did they all have some sign I (a nurse) should have noticed?
Deep cleansing breaths. Nathan was fine. He weighs only 2 pounds more than his 5 1/2 year old sister, but needs no vaccines and the doctor was not concerned about his growth. I was very happy with the way the doctor treated us. She did not flip out or lay on the guilt when I confessed that well checks weren't really something we had focused on the last 3 years. We see her again on Friday for the girls. I'm still a little anxious about that. The pediatrician in Belgium never did ask any developmental questions. I always find that part stressful. I remember very clearly feeling a panic attack come on when our pedi asked how many blocks Nathan could stack. I didn't know the "correct" answer. We didn't have any blocks! Instantly I was a complete failure as a mother.
I must be getting slightly more confident as I get older. I learned that not having Nathan in a booster is illegal--apparently that changed while we were gone so we were "excused". I did cringe slightly when the doctor asked Nathan how he got "all of those scratches" and he said he was riding a scooter and fell off. She said, "That's how you got ALL of them?" He just shrugged. Then she moved on, "Were you wearing a helmet?" He nodded. Phew, at least he knew the right answer. That happened at a friend's house so I wasn't sure. Then my lovely Hannah piped up, "Sometimes I don't wear a helmet when I ride my bike". Oops, busted. No guilt though. The doctor was very nice about everything and I didn't go home feeling like worst mother of the year. We do need to work on the helmet enforcement. Not a huge problem right now since our bikes are not exactly in our possession for another 6 weeks or so, but when we get them back--we'll work on that and the removal of training wheels. (We want to be as awesome as our friends!)
We're doing more than just getting reacquainted with US safety precautions. Days are flying by. Today we visited a preschool that Sarah will possibly tend in the fall. She enjoyed her visit and her big sister was quick to point out that she was not going to be in preschool. When I introduced Sarah to the teacher and said, "And this is.." Hannah interrupted, "I'm 5 1/2 so I won't be going here". Hannah is missing school so much. She got an e-mail from her BFF, Lisa, today. Apparently she is missing "twin day" on Friday. Hannah spent her last afternoon after school at Lisa's house (Lisa was just able to get back from being stuck in Sweden to be at school for two days during Hannah's last week).
Here they are in their "friendship" dresses. Lisa also gave her a little locket with her picture in it. Lisa's mom told me that in Sweden, Strawberry Shortcake translates to "Lisa" so she thought the Strawberry Shortcake lockets would be perfect.
And here is "Hammie", the hampster that Hannah first fell in love with on her first visit to Lisa's house. We are fairly certain a "Hammie 2" will be taking up residence in our house some time in the fall. Hopefully he'll live as long as Lisa's Hammie has.
The kids are out of sorts. They miss their school and their friends. They are not themselves and things are not going along perfectly, but they are okay. We know it will take time. We're going to see the new house today--first for them and a first for me! Hopefully that will make it a little more real to them. I know temporary living is confusing to them. (At this very moment they are staring out the window at some teenagers gathered in front of the apartment. Hannah just said, "Not appropriate!" Yeah, they were observing a fight between two boys with a crowd gathered around them. Nice. Thankfully they had come back inside and the door was closed before that started.) Quite ironic considering this event occurred at the same time I'm posting about safety.
It is almost time to pick up our boy from his 3rd day at school. Hopefully the mom type person I observed will have broken up the fight so I don't have to call the police after our being back just a week. Lots to get used to again (although fights in front of our home is pretty much a new one). I'm still jumping every time I lock the rental van and the horn beeps--not used to loud noises--and I'm still getting used to how everything tastes just a little bit different--eggs and chickens are huge compared to what we've been eating. I'm loving the drive up ATMs and still loving the great customer service.
Be back soon...


1 comment:
I feel ya... I could have said that so many times throughout that post!
With Julia my pedi would always asked those developmental questions and I thought like a loser. OMG I have never rolled a ball to her or even played ball. Great mom:)
Can't wait to hear about the house. We have finally explained to Julia that we will be moving and drove her by the house. We drive by every once in a while and she screams, Thats my house:) So cute!
Post a Comment