Being a mom who is a nurse (or at least was one in a former life ;0) sometimes stinks. Once upon a time I was one of those nurses answering the phone in a pediatrician's office, taking the sometimes frantic phone calls from "those moms". In case any of you reading this are moms and you happen to be wondering what the nurses on the help lines really think--if they ever do sound a tiny bit condesending, it is because they just don't get it. At least when I was in that position, I had no kids and I had adequate sleep most nights, I was not watching kid TV and having kid conversations all day and I had no emotional connection to the child in question.
When Nathan was born, I didn't panic over a lot of things most first time moms might because he wasn't the first baby I'd taken care of and I had a huge head start in that area. (When he became a toddler it was a whole different story). I always hesitated to call the pediatrician because I had a very vivid memory of what I thought of "those moms" and I didn't want to be one. Why? Pride mostly. I didn't like to be made fun of even when I wasn't there--clearly a control issue wouldn't you say? As if I could control people ever making fun of me without my knowledge.
Anyway, I vividly remember calling the doctor early one Saturday morning because Nathan had a rash and he was on antibiotics for something. I just knew he was having an allergic reaction and I panicked. After I talked to the doctor, I took a closer look at his rash and it all became clear. This was a post-viral rash. He most likely never needed the antibiotics and his body fought off the infection itself resulting in the rash. So clear (after the phone call), but at 5 AM when I'd been up half the night with a sick baby who wouldn't sleep, my mind was not clear. Suddenly I felt the need to call and apologize to every mom who'd called that practice once upon a time. (Not that they actually knew I and my colleagues had mocked them behind their backs, but we did and I felt guilty). I probably also had a vision of the doctor sitting down to breakfast with her family rolling her eyes about the "idiot mom" she just talked to, but that is another story. ;0)
I admit that I was often relieved when it was Daddy's time to be in charge and I was working so that he could make the phone call. Another time when Nathan was on antibiotics, he seemed to get worse and Joe was home with him alone and worried. I suggested he call the pedi since I was busy working. When he voiced his concern, our older, seasoned, male pediatrician said, "Well, antibiotics aren't magic". Ooooh, low blow. That would probably have made me cry and die of embarrassment, but my husband handled it as he always does. What did he know anyway? You should hear some of the "medical" ideas he has. ;0)
Last week Nathan came home with a note from the school nurse. I read it and put it on the counter. Joe read it and mocked it. "Good 'ole 'Slapped Face' syndrome" or something like that. I assured him it was real and that I'd heard of Fifth disease before. I threw the note away after the mocking so I don't have it to refer to, but it just stated that a child in Nathan's class had Fifth Disease and that it was a mild virus (I think).
Fast forward to Sunday...Joe took the kids outside for a while to play with some water gun things they got as favors at a birthday party on Saturday. They did put on sunscreen, but it was warm and I was gone for several hours to the gym and shopping--took some alone time since Joe is gone this week.
Yesterday I had a hard time waking everyone up and Sarah was especially warm to the touch (the thermometer I brought isn't working and honestly I rarely take a temperature--none of them have ever had a high fever). While we were at the grocery store I noticed that she looked like she had a very bad sunburn. The more I looked at her the worse it seemed. Her face looked very round and puffy and she felt hot, but the whole time I just thought sunburn.
When we picked Nathan up from school he asked to go outside and said I thought it best not to since Sarah seemed so sunburned. He said, "Yeah, she looks weird". The more I thought about it, the more I agreed. Called my mom for a sunburn check. She suggested I look online. The reason I don't normally go online first is because of what happened next. Because of something I typed in, Scarlet Fever, came up with pictures of kids who looked just like my child. (Well, not exactly, but very close). The whole "slapped cheek" thing completely left my mind and in my mind that note that came home had said that a child had "Scarlet fever" in Nathan's class. I called my mom to let her know I figured it out and then read a little more about it. Wait a minute, this is more serious that the note from the nurse said...not a mild virus at all. Call pediatrician immediately?!?!
So I did (not panicked). I left a message with the sweet after hours person who answered and had a call back very quickly. The nurse I spoke with on the phone was very nice and listened to me diagnose my child with Scarlet fever before she gently mentioned that it is more likely Fifth Disease. (Can I just say how thankful I am for an English speaking after hours phone line? If we were still in Belgium, I would have had to call over and over should there have been an answering machine just to understand what was being said...not to mention yesterday was a holiday in Belgium so I would have been lucky to find anyone to talk to at all! The relief of just being able to call and talk, ahhhhh.)
Oops, oh yeah, that is what the paper said. (I'm fairly certain my cheeks were red at that moment as well from embarrassment).
So as we continued to get ready for bed, I noticed that Hannah's cheeks appeared very similar to her sister's and Nathan started complaining of a headache. We got through bed time stories and prayers quickly and went to bed with bright sunlight pouring into everyone's rooms (part of why they've been up later than they should be lately). This morning I woke up to 3 kids with red cheeks and itchy rashes everywhere. No fevers and no one feels bad.
I spoke with the nurse on the nurse line again (something I would have never done before I moved to Belgium and learned that I can feel like a complete fool in front of people and that I will not die of embarrassment) and asked how long Nathan needs to be home from school. She wasn't all that helpful because she was obviously reading some fact sheet and she couldn't really give me an amount of time he needs to be home. It is up to me to use my own judgement. Doesn't she know that is why us moms call the lines? We are so tired and braindead, we don't have any judgement anymore!?
From everything I've read online, they are no longer contagious by the time the rash appears. I sent e-mails to a couple of friends at the church we obviously contaminated and the birthday party we probably brought more than a couple of gifts to...
So I'm at home with three not so sick kids who look I guess like they've all been slapped. I am not sure I would describe it that way, but who goes around slapping their kids on both cheeks? I mean I'm right handed so...JUST KIDDING!
Sarah's is the most obvious because her skin is the lightest. I had to look really hard to see Nathan's, but I can feel the rash on the rest of him and Sarah is covered in little red bumps. The nurse asked me if the rash looks "lacy" over the rest of her body. I do not like questions like that. If I squint really hard and have her stand just so far away, I guess, it kind of looks "lacy". Questions like that make me doubt and wonder if they have something else. No wonder so many of us want to come in and see the doctor. We just don't feel qualified!
They would probably love to go to the doctor (once I assure them they will not be getting shots, of course) just to get out of this place, but I really think there is no need. Everyone seems fine and Sarah's really seems to be getting better. Since this rash can last 1-3 weeks (!) I am certain we will not be staying in until it is gone. I'm sure we'll be banned from the gym child center since all of the other parents will be scared of us, but little do they know they should be scared of the kids without the rash...like us on Saturday and Sunday. Maybe they do know. I guess I should have, but I didn't. Or maybe I did, but I forgot. And now I know. Again.
2 comments:
I hope everyone gets better really soon!! And I hope you don't catch it too - how are you managing that? Take care of yourself!
I'm fairly certain I had everything when I was a kid so hopefully I'm immune. Shouldn't speak too soon though. I'm itchy just typing this. ;0)
Post a Comment