Thursday, February 03, 2011

You Better Recognize

Hannah has been trying out new words.  "Recognize" is one her favorites.  She isn't quite sure what it means.  A few times I have heard her ask Nathan, "Do you recognize anything in here?"  She's trying to get him to notice something different in the room or about her.  Such a girl thing and as typically male as he is--he often doesn't "recognize".

This has been a hard week.  We started out with a garage door that wouldn't close.  After dealing with microwave repair guy for about a month and because the weather guy I follow on facebook was posting status updates about "BLIZZARD 2011!!!", I went into total panic mode.  I also might add that my husband had a plane ticket that had him scheduled to leave just before BLIZZARD 2011 was scheduled to arrive. 

Phone calls were made.  Appointment was set.  Garage repair guy was much more reliable and punctual than microwave repair guy and about $150 later, our garage was working again.  I was warned that we can expect the springs to go at any time.  I have already been warned by my parents and my neighbor that I can expect a noise loud enough to wake me from my sleep when that happens.  I really, really hope that spring breaks when my husband is home and if it could please wait a few months since I also heard that it was about a "$1000 surprise" from my neighbor.

Tuesday came and my husband's flight was right on time.  Tuesday night "BLIZZARD 2011" arrived.  We had talked about it for days around here.  I was watching the weather constantly and trying not to be as much a of a freak as I felt.  Most people around here were all, "Oh it's just snow".  Well, 10-15 inches of snow is more than I've ever had to deal with unless I was wearing skis.  I'm from the old Texas before it turned into crazy low temperature snow and ice for days Texas. 

As the first snow started to fall and it was starting to get dark, the doorbell rang.  It was weird because I had actually thought during the day about what I might do if someone came to our house looking for help because their power went out.  I had totally planned to roam the neighborhood trying to find someone with a generator if our power went out.  But we don't have a generator and the storm had literally just started so I was pretty sure this guy was not looking for a place to stay.  Then I noticed he had a giant bag like he was coming for a sleep over and I thought "Hmmmm..."
He quickly apologized when he saw us.  He had the wrong house--it was pretty snowy and dark out there.  After retelling this story to my out of town husband and family,  I am now aware that locking the glass door and checking through the windows on either side of the door to see who is at the door is a better option when I'm home alone.  I know I'm not cautious enough.  You can take the girl out of small town west Texas... 
Wednesday was a snow day from school.  The BLIZZARD 2011 turned out to be the much milder Winter Storm 2011 and there were not 10-15 inches of snow, but more like 8 inches.  I really have no idea.  I didn't measure it and the wind drifted it everywhere so it was really hard to tell.  I got up early and went right to work on the snow.  Did you know that even with a snow blower that moving around 8 inches of snow is exhausting?  Did you also know that when it snows another couple of inches after that and the wind blows other snow all back over what you already cleared, that it is equally as exhausting to move it again?  Blizzards, I mean Winter Storms are not for the wimpy.
        Our mailbox was a victim of a drive by snow plow--another fun surprise!

               Out our front door after all of the shoveling.

                Nathan found a "snow heart"--perfect for February.

                    He then crushed it--because that is what boys do.
              With the help of some neighbor kids they made an ice cave.
       Sarah made it have a "sun roof"--girls thought it should be a slide.
          Girls were happy--Nathan had envisioned something bigger.
         He wanted me to re-pile the snow.  I did try--and failed.
      Our back patio is under there--poor Max, no place to pee or poo. :(
   The other door-- I still have not cleared either one.  Max is going out front.
          Backyard--most of the snow piles.
We were out for round 2 of snow fun--the piles across the street are the "good" ice caves.
         The ones I don't know how to make.

So Wednesday was the toughest day.  I fell into bed exhausted and I disappointed my children when I was not able to build them an awesome snow cave/igloo like our neighbor children created.  Mind you they are in middle school and their parents are from here.  I wish my children would realize how lucky they are that I am doing as well as I'm doing with all of this.  Hello.  Did not grow up with this.  Not my normal.  We were all tired and it made for a grumpy evening last night.

This morning another challenge as I discovered a certain 3rd grader's homework had not been completed as I had thought.  That's always fun.  The drive to school this morning was slippery, but we made it.  Still totally stresses me out to drive in the snow.  Not a fan.

Tonight things went well.  Kids were chatty at dinner.  Got three thumbs down on the Mexican chicken soup I made.  I hate it when that happens.  Hannah turned to me at one point and in her sweet way she said, "Mom, is this dinner?  I didn't recognize it".  I'd like to think that she was misusing that word again, but maybe not.

So as I sent the crew up to get ready for bed, there was the usual search for Carl and Heffalump.  Generally Heffalump is either in the basement or living room.  I had seen him in the office earlier, but honestly wasn't sure where he was.  Carl?  I had not seen all day.  That is unusual.  He's usually on the couch or in the kitchen and I generally put him on Hannah's bed or in the laundry basket to go upstairs so that he's headed in the right direction.  After I cleaned up the kitchen, I searched everywhere for those two.  I mean everywhere.  I was starting to have strange thoughts like someone came in during the day and took them.  Hannah was beside herself.  Sarah was content to snuggle with someone else for the evening.  That should have been a clue.

So Hannah was sobbing in her bed as I sat and read to Sarah.  I had finally decided the search had to end because they had to get to sleep.  As I thought about the Bible study that met at our house this morning and how I might have let the little ones who were here with their moms lose Carl, I started crying too.  Sarah was really disturbed that I was that sad about not finding Carl and Heffalump.  Really I'm just exhausted and I just wanted a calm happy evening with Carl and Heffalump in their rightful places.  I know I'm a total brat and this is NOT a big deal, but I'm tired.

So I finished reading to Sarah and was about to tuck her in...went to grab the VapoRub she's been needing and had a strange urge to open the bathroom cabinet.  There was Carl.  I was embarrassingly excited.  Hannah was thrilled.

Sarah asked if I had found Heffalump.  I said that I had not, but would keep looking.  She suddenly regained her memory.  Heffalump was inside a stool in the bathroom and she "found" him right then.  She was confused as to why I wasn't as excited about that find.  I wish I could say that I was more parental, but I laughed.  We are going to have to watch out for this kid.  I mean what is she up to?

Later as I was tucking Hannah in after her book, she thought about how she might have put Carl under the bathroom cabinet while she was brushing her teeth this morning.  She wasn't sure.  Sarah had not given a straight answer about anything all night.  She confessed to hiding both of them and then denied both.  I suggested to Hannah that maybe Sarah had hidden Heffalump after she realized Carl was lost.  Hannah said, "Oh, I bet she wanted to be compromised".
I said, "Excuse me?" (Not sure what word she meant to use this time...)
She said, "Well, you know how you were compromising me when I was crying?  She probably wanted you to compromise her too". 
She meant Sarah wanted to be comforted.  I love that we have like a word of the day thing going on.

So I moved on to Nathan.  We're reading "The Long Winter" and hoping it isn't prophetic.  Sarah told us today that the "brown dog" didn't see his shadow so we should be good, right?

 Carl had "surgery" over the weekend.  He was getting a little squishy so Daddy helped Hannah fluff him up again.  Daddy also performed more "surgery" on Heffalump that same day--he had a little tear on a seam I'd been meaning to fix, but kept putting off.  He's sitting on the table in the background.  I think his owner's response to her father was an incredulous, "You can sew?"  Who knew?

1 comment:

The Boos from Booville said...

Wow those snow pictures are amazing! You are such an amazing mom - your little ones are so blessed!

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet