Sunday, December 11, 2011

Wannabe

Where was I?  Oh right, planning that perfect family picture shoot....We did get the mostly cooperative weather.   We got semi-cooperative children.  No Dad, as you pointed out, it is not "natural" for my three children to be dressed in color-coordinated clothing, standing on a bridge, holding hands and looking back smiling as if they can't wait to skip off into happy land together.  BUT, we have enough pictures of our regular life.  Here, we are being our social media pressured selves.  Well, not all of us are social media pressured.  Mostly just the one of us.  We are not usually this well groomed all at the same time.
The Christmas cards are in the mail.  The framable shots will be ordered after the holidays when I stop feeling like the world is spinning faster than it should be.  The office desk is almost visible.  Shopping for kids is done.  Other shopping, mostly done.  There's the matter of the teacher's gifts.  Hoping that if I hold out long enough some other organized parent in the classrooms will send out the e-mail asking for money and offering to get the gift cards.  I already attended the "Holiday Party Planning Meeting" on Monday.  My contribution was weak.  I have already rescinded my one idea.  It is well established that I am not a crafty mom.  I wannabe.  At least in theory.  Crafts = Mess and I'm not that good at mess.  I am getting better at it.  Last night I let four little girls make play dough with glitter in it even.  I'm fearless like that. 

They woke up to their first real snow worth playing in and play they did.  They were soaking wet before we even left for school.
The girls had friends sleep over while their brother was away at a sleep over birthday party.  His night included an outing to a hockey game.  The girls were so exhausted after their early morning and outside play time, they were asleep by 9 PM.  Unheard of when there are that many girls around for giggling.  Instead they were up with the sun (or before) running and squealing as only girls do.  Thank goodness for coffee and headache medicine.

I got a little ahead of myself.  This was the scene on Thursday night at the kids' school.  Nathan's class gathered for a bonfire and "Reading Under the Moonlight".  Each of them read two of their chosen moon poems.  They were really impressive.  God bless teachers, principals and school counselors who give so much of their precious time to our kids.  I am just so thankful. 
It was FREEZING.  And not just to those of us from Texas.  I couldn't convince the poetry reader that a hat and gloves were necessary.  He requested a hot shower when we got home--not his usual MO.
He was so nervous, but he did so well.  All of the poems were fantastic.  Teachers are just amazing.  I don't know how they do it.  I can only just handle my own kids...and I'm not teaching them to write poetry.



There was also a cookie bakery tour for our little Daisy Scout this week.  Because we added too many to the count in such a tiny little bakery, we had to go the car pool route.  I still struggle with the car pool thing.  I know the time is quickly approaching when I will have to either roll with the car pool life or fore go some of the activities.  It still just feels funny to put the responsibility with someone else. 

Today there was no car pool--even little sister was invited to the Daisy Christmas Party.  Actually big brother was invited as well, but he opted to shop for a new coat and new basketball shoes with his dad.  My poor little Daisy is usually the one without her uniform on...for some reason I can't get it together to remember her uniform for field trips.  Today I thought about it, but she was wearing party attire, so I thought we could leave it behind.  Speaking of behind...I have a baggie full of patches waiting to be ironed or sewn onto said uniform.  True story.  Sarah picked up a toy iron at our friends' house and was playing with it in the kitchen.  She clearly thought it was some sort of kitchen appliance.  When I asked her what it was she said, "I have no idea!" 
So...the party was a HUGE success.
Successful because there was a surprise visitor....
He was so awesome!  He stayed long enough for all of us moms with cameras to get "the perfect shot".  I actually put my camera down after I saw my friend's new flash and lens.  I know my limitations.  All of these but the first one are hers...
Sarah refused to sit on his lap.  Wouldn't even turn her back on him.  She had agreed to talk to him, but never agreed to pose for a picture.

This was the closest we could get. 

I started this post last night, got frustrated with youtube and was too lazy to edit the video to just Nathan's poems so I quit with that last sentence.  Now I'm back with just a little more...

We've had a very eventful weekend.  Today we finally joined the church we've attended for over a year.  In that time, we've definitely made it our church home.  They are like our family away from family.  After church we stayed for lunch and the all-church meeting.  Then this evening we hosted our small group--actually a misnomer.  Tonight we had to discuss splitting our group into two so that we can continue to invite other people.  Such a hard thing to do, but a wonderful problem to have.  Tonight we had planned to celebrate one couple with a baby shower--however, their baby is apparently very considerate and chose to come two weeks before his Christmas Eve due date.

I've still got laundry to do.  Patches to iron and sew.  Our little Daisy Scout may be my mini-me in most cases, but today she was all her daddy.  I mentioned that she might want to show her cookie order sheet to our friends in small group tonight while I was making dinner and the next thing I knew she had bundled up and headed out to hit the neighborhood.  She enlisted her brother and sister so she could go a little further down the street.  Between the few houses and our small group, she has already sold 20 boxes! 

I don't know how the weekend flew by so quickly, but here comes Monday again.  I'd like to think I've gotten myself a little bit caught up and organized, but I'm pretty sure it is just an illusion.  Time just doesn't wanna slow down.  Unless you're a kid right now...then it probably feels like time is crawling as slowly as possible toward December 25th. 

Texas here we come---warm up a little bit would ya?!

No comments:

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet