I was trying to get a picture of her new earrings. (The moment acquiring those bad boys is not one of my favorite moments--let's just say it was a completely different experience that with her big sister).
She wanted me to take a picture of her with her bubble beard. So there we have it.
Another favorite moment. No picture though--how sad that this is the most recent one. Oh well, he still looks like this. And pretty much wears burnt orange every day...just imagine him with really long, shaggy hair that he likes and I don't. Anyway, back to the moment...
Tonight we ran out to get milk and Valentine's Day cards. They spent some time looking them over and Hannah picked a set that included candy. When she realized Nathan was interested in that one, she gave it to him. He didn't even ask. Then another woman saw them in our cart and asked where we'd found them. I told her we couldn't find any more, but were hoping to find another box ourselves. Nathan quietly told me she could have them. He said he'd pick another kind. I figured since Hannah had wanted them first, I wasn't about to offer them to the other woman, but he gave them to her anyway. Later on, we found a whole section of the same ones across the store. Nathan put the ones he'd chosen back and got those. Proud mommy moment. After we got home and I gave him a hug telling him how proud I was, he said, "This is awkward". He's still a 9 year old boy, but he's a good one.
The party went well. She picked her own outfit and hairstyle. So did her sister. After Grace arrived and I was talking to her mom (as I tend to do), I heard Hannah's friend Kate say something about going to see the cake. I thought, "Hmmmm...", but I didn't think it fast enough. Scene in the kitchen: cake on the floor, newly turned five year old covered in frosting looking terribly distressed and apologizing profusely.
It wasn't that pretty to begin with, but it looked better than this. At least it landed right side up. Interestingly, Daddy yelled, but Mommy didn't. We moved on.
Musical chairs.
And the even more fun, "hot potato".
They made beautiful princess crowns. She opened presents. There was cake (although squished up a bit) and ice cream. Such a sweet group of girls and so grown up, no moms or dads even stuck around. Well, besides us.
Seems like a long time ago. We've been running ever since. Daddy has since gone again and come back again. He's getting ready to go again in a couple of days. Sarah is ecstatic about pajama day at preschool tomorrow. I'm ecstatic about date night.
Kids all had great report cards. Sarah sat down and wrote her thank you cards all on her own with her school picture. She even wrote some for kids who weren't at her party. She's so insistent on reading to me every night. She's ready for school. All day kindergarten will be a good thing. Some days I am more on board with that than others.
After an episode of total frustration a few weeks ago with her number journaling, Hannah has come full circle. Her teacher is such a great communicator. She now has an extra number journal at home and she is working on it night and day. She is reading so well. Amazing how she has just bloomed these last few weeks.
Kids are good. Daddy's busy. We miss him, but know we're blessed. I'm working on taking one day at a time. When I do that, I'm good too. Tonight, Grey's. Tomorrow night, date night. Well, maybe I'm taking one night at a time, but that can work too.

1 comment:
Ahh I miss you and your blogging!
Thanks for the reminder about Greys:)
Post a Comment