Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Halfway



Well, school has started.  Halfway started anyway.  Yesterday was the first half day.  Today the second half day.  Tomorrow the THIRD half day.  Not feeling the relief that comes with sending all three kids back to school yet, but it's coming.  Friday will be their first full day back at school.  All three kids, same school, same time there, same time home, all day long.  What will I do with myself?  I have a couple things to keep me busy. 
Our brand new kindergartner went to bed the night before with a tummy ache.  She was quietly anxious that morning.  She picked her favorite pants, her new Dora shirt (will the love affair ever end?) and her back to school shoes.  Her teacher was Hannah's first grade teacher.  She went in knowing only one little boy, a younger brother to one of Hannah's friends. 
Hair parting is not my gift.
Starting her third year at Dodson, our 2nd grader is a pro.  She was excited and not nervous at all.  My kids dress themselves and I like that.  The goal one day is for them to move out and live on their own.  She loves her new shoes.  They are a lot of work and not the most practical things I've ever seen, but she puts them on by herself (the prerequisite to buying them) and so far she has done it in a timely manner.




First day of line-ups is always overwhelming.
And the fifth grader.  Also starting his third year at Dodson (plus 6 weeks) and also a pro.  He's excited about the school year.  Also had a stomachache the night before, but for a completely different reason.
Fifth graders don't need help finding their lines.  This was the last picture we got before he was gone.  He's thinking, "I really hope none of my friends see that my parents are making me take a picture with my two little sisters right now.  And my dad with the video camera, sheesh!"




Here's how it actually went down.  And he's off...
Hannah was also basically on her own.  I had a mini-orientation with the other kindergarten parents.  By the time I left the school, I had about one hour to go home, clean up breakfast, make beds and then I was back.  Pick up was as chaotic as expected.  It was raining.  There were 200 plus new kids and several new teachers added to the school this year--the gifted and talented program size was increased and split between the school it was in originally and ours.  Our start time is half an hour earlier than last year (thus so is the end time).  This is the first time kindergartners are staying for lunch--lunch will begin 20 minutes earlier than last year.  Friday will be an interesting one.

Yesterday we brought home one extra kid, Nathan's friend Nick.  Hannah had her second soccer practice.  She also helped me make spaghetti and meatballs.


Today we brought home two extra kids, Nathan's friend Josh and Hannah's friend Hailey.  They dressed up, they chased each with Nerf darts, the played play-doh, they made crafts, they traded baseball cards...Sarah played piano some.  She's obsessed lately.  I wish I had figured out a way to make piano lessons with mom a more structured part of our day this summer.  We have had a couple of "mini-lessons".  I'm fairly certain she has figured out that I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to teaching piano. 
Already time to feed them again before we head off to another baseball game.  The office is still a disaster, I don't even wanna see what the basement looks like, but soon enough they will actually leave here long enough for me to pick a few things up and have them stay up for a couple of hours.  Gee, what will that be like????

No comments:

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet