Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Virtual Tour

The house.  Since becoming a stay at home mom, I identify much more with the state of the house.  If I'm being completely honest, there is this sick little part of me that really enjoys the whole getting the house ready for sale and showings.  I love that clean counter, clutter free look.  I love staging and thinking about ways to make a house Martha Stewart magazine worthy.  However, that is not real life.  Or at least not my real life.

As soon as we got into the house, we had family asking for pictures.  I get it.  I like to see where and how people live.  There is a whole reality industry proving that I am not alone in that... But no way was I ready to  post pictures of the endless piles of boxes.  I think I heard somewhere that it takes people three years to get settled in a new home.  Um, that's not us.  When we were first married, we moved every 6 months.  The longest we have ever lived anywhere is 3 years--if we waited three years to get settled, we would never be settled.  So we dive right in.  And I don't just mean unpacking.

One thing we've learned over these years of moving and moving and moving again, when it comes to finding our place in a new place, we just do it.  Generally people and churches and friends don't come to you (although, this neighborhood has been an exception) and so if we want to know people, go to church and make friends, we go out and meet people, go to church and make people be our friends.  I'm just kidding about that last part.  :)

We've worked pretty hard making the house home and we've started to hit that lull seems to happen once we get tired of moving things around.  We moved into a house with ZERO window coverings and have since worked really hard on changing that.  (Well, I can't say I have personally worked THAT hard on changing that, but Joe has).  Most of the pictures have been hung (again, not my hard work, but my husband's).  The laundry room had no feng shui and now it does--(once again, husband--I promise I did some stuff though--it just isn't as impressive in print).

So back to the picture requests...I mean not that we're being hounded by the paparazzi or anything, there were only like two requests, but I have been putting this little pressure on myself thinking: "Yeah, I need to grab some pictures of the rooms that are 'put together' and post them....I need to take the videos from November and December off of the camera and just make a virtual tour...I should really post about Sarah's birthday party since I finally got around to updating the other two..."  Then there were these thoughts: "Well, there are still boxes in the office...My time would be better used moving those...Ugh, the bathrooms are not clean...there is laundry to do...shopping to do...bills to pay...books I want to read...
And then there's that whole process of re-training my brain not to feel like the house has to be ready for a "showing".  I mean no one reading my blog wants to buy the house.  I can just show life on a regular day, but for some reason I get hung up there.  I like the clean counter tops and rooms where everything has a place.  I have this memory of skyping with a certain brother (who will remain nameless--although, I have a funny story about his name, that I will have to recount later)...anyway, this brother saw the pile of dishes in my sink and made a comment.  We had just finished a meal, but guess what nameless brother!?  There are dishes in my sink right now.  Yes, it's true.  Not to say it doesn't bother me, but I wish it didn't.  I'm not saying it is my goal to end up on an episode of Hoarders in the future, but I want to be able to relax and let some things go.  Clearly I have--I mean we don't live in that clutter free, magazine ready, only eat food over the kitchen sink kind of house, but there's a part of me that could easily go there.  Some days that is my only sense of accomplishment.  I am conflicted about staying at home.  Thankful that I can be here and that there is no scramble to find child care like last week when Hannah missed almost a whole week of school.  Thankful for the time to cook and shop during the week.  But it causes me to question my identity from time to time.  When I was mistaken for the kids' nanny yesterday, some part of me thought, "Hmmmm, it would be nice to actually get 'off of work' in a little while".  BUT, a working mom doesn't get off of work either.  I know.  I've been her.

There's always going to be some reason why I'm not quite ready for a tour.  This is another house I am not going to be able to clean all at once.  The only way I could manage that is if no one actually lived here.  And we brought all of the people from the last house with us, so...

I started this a while ago.  The sun was still shining and the kids were all in school.  I started moving files from the video camera, which ran the battery down...had to dig through a box or two to find the charger, then remembered the curtains needed to be hung in the living room, sat down to rest for a minute because the headache I took advil for this morning was not gone and kids would be home soon.  I'm a much better mom without a headache.  Well, at least a little bit better mom.

Now there's homework to help with and dinner to start.  The video I grabbed will have to suffice for now.  I think a do-over will be necessary in spring.

I must say I am ready for a little sunshine and daisies.  The real kind.  We have plenty of the figurative ones.  We are blessed.  It was one month ago today that we left our last home.  It was empty of our things and we were overwhelmed with emotions.
And full of memories...

Dog pile goodbyes.

Yet, a month later.  We have more than a house.  We have a home.  New memories to make.  And friendships not forgotten.



Without further ado...









No comments:

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet