Lately, I've noticed the number of times smoking comes up in my conversations with Nathan. I realize he's only 3 and the commercials regarding talking to your kids about smoking are most likely not directed at parents of preschoolers, but it keeps coming up. The first time he asked about it was when he saw someone smoking a pipe outside the library. I explained that the man was smoking. Later, when we were our of this man's earshot, I explained that it is very bad for people to smoke and it can make you very sick.
It came up again when we were sitting in our car and I could smell someone's smoke inside our car. I commented on it being "stinky" and Nathan wanted to know why I said that. We talked about smoking again and I told him about my Mimaw who smoked and how she got sick and died from smoking. Maybe a little harsh, but it is true. I miss her and she might still be here if she hadn't smoked. Maybe he would actually know her. I told him that his Daddy's grandma smoked and she quit so she was able to live a longer time. That has really stuck with him.
Tonight on an episode of, you guessed it, Full House, Stephanie is faced with smoking. She chose not to and we talked about it again. He remembered that if you smoke "your Mimaw can die and you have to get a new one".
Don't worry, I did my best to clear things up...I am just going to have to take the advice of the commercials and keep talking. One thing the commercial has right, they do listen....
2 comments:
Garrett is preoccupied with smoking too. Thank goodness he thinks it's BAD! He always points to people & says, "Why does he/she have a smoker? That's bad for you." Hope it always stays that way!
Yesterday, Nathan loudly pointed out a man who was smoking and then proceeded to tell me just at loudly that he was going to die. We need to tone it down to Garrett's terms!
Post a Comment