Monday, December 05, 2005

Feeling Blessed

Yesterday we arrived at church a little on the late side and when we arrived the three and four year olds were lined up to sing "Mary Had A Baby" in front of the church. Nathan was not at all interested in the standing in front of the church part so we encouraged him a bit and then said it was fine if he just wanted to watch. One of his teachers offered to take him back to his room, but I didn't want him to feel he was being punished and sit in there all alone so I told him he could watch the others from the back of the church. After they were done, I walked him to his room where he walked over to the table the nametags were lying on and picked up the one with his name on it. I was truly impressed. When did that happen? He's learned to recognize his own name? We then visited Santa at Daddy's work and it was a lot of fun. Major progress for Nathan. He actually sat on Santa's lap for the first time in his little life! We never pushed him to do it when he wasn't ready and this year he decided he was. The pictures show that he wasn't quite as ready as he thought he was, but there was very little coercing on our part. He then picked out his toy from the stack and picked one for Hannah as well. We waited in line an incredibly long time, but it was a fun time. Hannah was, as usual, a doll. Considering she has a nose that won't stop running and two teeth coming in at the slowest rate possible, she was such a good girl. She sat on Santa's lap with the very curious look on her face. She doesn't seem to have "stranger danger". She seems to trust without question that her Daddy and I would never put her in harm. She even smiled for the picture. She knows exactly what to do in front of the camera.
They both crashed in the car on the way home. We stopped off at Kroger for some hair gel for Daddy and Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper for me. (I had been craving one since watching the Dr. Pepper Big 12 Championship--darn commercials!) and Joey decided to pick up a couple of sleds. So once nap time was over we took the kids out on their sleds in our pitiful little snow in the backyard. They loved it! They both laughed and had the best time. Nathan pulled Hannah the best he could. Considering she only weighs about 10 pounds less than he does, I'd say it was amazing he could pull her at all. They had a great time. Joey decided to shovel the driveway a little bit and Nathan pulled out his shovel to help. He is such a great helper these days.
Then we loaded up and headed to yet another outing. We had a Christmas party with our new friends from church. It was so much fun. We enjoyed good food, great friends and a really funny White Elephant Christmas gift exchange. The kids each got to open a little present too. We are so blessed to have found such great friends so quickly here. The kids really enjoy each other and the adults were actually able to hold conversations without too many interruptions. It was a wonderful end to a great weekend.
Today has been another great day. We had to run a couple of errands. Nathan still thinks "eran" is a person or place. Every place we go he asks, "Is that eran?" We went to the library. Nathan spent some time playing computer games. I actually watched him click the letters for his first name. He mixed up a couple, but he did manage to click on "NATMLA". It is amazing to me how he has learned so much about the computer so quickly. We are already having to limit his time on it. He's only three! Yikes! After lunch I put Hannah down for her nap and Nathan was still playing. He helped me with a load of laundry and then started stabbing at me with his balloon animal from yesterday. I told him it was about to pop and of course it did. So he cried and said he wanted to go see Santa for another one right away. I told him it sounded like he needed a nap. The next thing I know, he was over on the couch with a pillow and blanket, his little hands curled up under his head and watching Blue's Clues. He fell asleep within minutes. For those who find this normal behavior, it is not his norm. He rarely goes to sleep voluntarily. He really is growing up. I am still continually amazed.
I am feeling particularly blessed today. These kids are such special people and I am so blessed to experience the littlest details of their lives every day. I just want to remember the little things. Thank you God for my children and for memories.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicci, I was so excited to see you commenting on the photos of the kids. I hope Detroit is agreeing with you. It sounds like you've had some true adventures! Merry Christmas!

Kellee said...

You bless my life!

Love & miss you! We're having a girl's night here tonight...it won't be the same without you! We'll raise a glass to you though!

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet