Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Another Super (wo)Man?
Last night as Nathan and I curled up on the couch to watch TV, I found Supernanny was on. I haven't watched that show in a while because, frankly, I am annoyed by a childless woman trying to tell people how to raise their children (she is never solely responsible for any children 24 hours a day, so of course she has unending patience), but we watched because Nathan wanted to see what the "bad girls" were doing.
I happened to mention Supernanny a few weeks ago when Gritch The Witch was visiting. I said that I was going to call Supernanny to help us out since this family was just such a mess! Nathan asked, "Mom, who is Super Manny?" I told him she was someone who helps kids act nicely for their parents or something like that. I don't think I mentioned her again, but at one point when I (I mean Gritch) was yelling at my husband, Nathan said, "Daddy, we are going to call Super Manny to help you learn how to act".
When Nathan chose Supernanny for our viewing entertainment (over Full House, I might add), he didn't know what he was choosing. When he realized it was SuperNanny according to the announcer, he quickly got excited and asked, "Which one is Super Manny?" I pointed her out and he seemed very confused, "That's her?" Perhaps he was expecting Mr. Incredible or Elastigirl? I am positive he was at least expecting some sort of spandex costume or cape.
After watching last night's show I have to agree Supernanny does seem to help the parents behave more than the children. We as parents are often tired and overwhelmed so we try to take shortcuts in childrearing and Supernanny calls us on that. I do think she is a tad too anal on the whole schedule thing. I don't feel like a child's life has to be scheduled down to the minute or else "it is complete and utter chaos" (insert British accent here). But I actually watched the show a little more objectively last night and it wasn't that bad. She must have some quality that attracts kids because a few minutes into the show, Nathan said, "I want to play with Super Manny. She is really nice". There was quite a bit of disappointment in his little life when I had to say no to the question:
"Mom, can Super Manny fly?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Little Tse Feet
1 comment:
I'm impressed that little Nathan watched SuperNanny. I love her, but forget the schedules. I can't have that much structure in MY life!
Post a Comment