Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Saving Daylight


What exactly are we saving daylight for anyway? Ever since the dreaded time change, this family has been on a really weird schedule. (Even more so than usual, for those who know us.)
Last Saturday we almost missed breakfast with the Easter Bunny because we didn't wake up until almost 9:30! I was in Nathan's bed and Hannah was in our bed. It was a long night, but apparently we were getting in some much needed sleep. Until today, it has been impossible to get Hannah down for a nap as early as she needs it. Nathan has been up as late as 11 pm and then when he gets up in the morning, he's already tired and ready for a nap.
We are actually loving the long hours of daylight. The weather is really springlike now and the kids were outside playing until almost 8 pm last night. I kept giving Nathan 15 minute warnings starting about 7 pm, but they were just having so much fun and I was enjoying the gorgeous evening too. Tonight I have Charlie Brown's Easter special to lure Nathan in before 8 pm. I told him he has to have his bath and jammies on before we can watch Charlie Brown. We'll see how well that works tonight and if he remembers that we can "Just accord it, Mommy".
Though I normally dread Daylight Savings Time and much prefer to fall back, this year I am really enjoying all of the extra daylight.
When I was a kid, daylight savings meant I was going to be in my room looking out the window while other kids still played outside. I distinctly remember being bathed and in my jammies while other kids in the neighborhood played outside my window. My parents were always sticklers about bedtime because they "needed their sleep". My dad has always been a morning person and was up around 6 am forever. So though, I have never been much of a sleeper, I was at least made to come in and head in the direction of sleep. It seems I have passed on my sleepless genes to my lovely children, but it works out okay because we get to enjoy the evening hours as a family. (Not that I didn't enjoy evening hours with my family growing up. We did. It was just usually cut shorter than I might have liked.)
I heard a rumor that Daylight Savings will be a month longer next year, but according to my 2 Year Planner, it is exactly as it was this year. My dad has always said that Daylight Savings Time is now for golfers (he's not one) and that we don't need it anymore. I never liked that it shortened my weekend by an hour as a kid and I didn't like that I had to be in an hour earlier that Saturday night when I was "out" in high school. (I always thought it unfair that the same rule didn't apply on the fall back weekend...I had to be home at the current time and not an hour later.)
I just found a website with some info on DST and it appears the rumor is not just a rumor. We'll have an extra month of DST in 2007. I guess we'll all adjust. I do like that now we have some daylight to get outside and run or go to the park when Daddy gets home. I think before DVRs it probably did keep us from watching as much TV, but now we'll probably just ''accord it" and stay up too late watching what we want to watch. After we've been out enjoying all of our saved daylight, of course.

1 comment:

Kellee said...

Argh! I wish they would just choose one way & stick to it. It's this back & forth that gets us every time.

The teachers in G&C's school say it plays havoc with them. Can't even imagine b/c I know what it does to us. And if it does that to two kids, imagine 200 or so!

BTW, had to laugh about Nathan saying "just accord it." What is it about these kids who think you can record or rewind tv at the drop of a hat?

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet