It is April, right? Then why does Harry Connick Jr.'s version of "Let it Snow" keeping running through my head? Why does it look more like we're waiting for Santa than for the Easter Bunny?
We have made it through week 2. We are even more tired and even more grumpy, but we are still persevering! The kids are doing better than Mommy at this point, but I think that was a given. Daddy will be home in 6 days. We can't wait! He spent the day in France with some friends and made some Easter plans with some new friends at church for tomorrow. We are happy that he is not all alone on Easter. He also managed to find a helpful person at a dealership and picked out our minivan. We are all excited about that!
We had an Easter Egg hunt at church today. The flier said the hunt would be moved inside in case of rain. I thought for sure that snow and wind chills in the teens qualified to also move the hunt inside...I thought wrong. My Texas roots are showing I guess. When we pulled up and saw the eggs outside, I said, "They're crazy!" The phrase was promptly repeated by my two older children. Then we had a short lesson on why Mommy shouldn't have said that and please to not repeat. When we got inside we discovered that only children over the age of 5 would be hunting outside. Phewww! Just made the cut off and we were safe. After a small issue of Nathan not wanting to be considered a "little kid", we managed a nice hunt indoors. Then a story about Jesus and crafts and people were leaving! What?! Where are you going? I was hoping to at least blow 2 or 3 hours here. We closed the joint with our lovely and very helpful friends. The kids got to play with some of their much younger than Mommy and very energetic baby-sitters. Yay, relief. Our friend's mom got her baby fix by snuggling with Sarah and I got some pictures of Sarah without holding her myself or standing over her with the camera shadow in the picture.
The weather has not been pleasant this past week and it doesn't look good for our last week on our own either. With no preschool to keep us busy due to Easter break, we are going to be desperate to find at least one outing and source of entertainment each day until Daddy is home. Unfortunately, my visions of going to the zoo and having picnics in the park are not going to be realized. Oh well, as the Michiganders keep saying, "It is a Michigan Spring!"
The kids have kept me laughing this week, which is much appreciated.
Here are a few quotes from Nathan that had me laughing:
(His vocabulary is increasing at an astounding rate both in English & French).
He was sitting at the table telling me about some books he wanted to read and said, " You know I'm familiar with that one, Mom". I smiled and said, "Oh. Wow that is a very big word for you".
He said, "Well, of course I learned that at school". (With a look that said he did not think it is a very big word for him because, of course, he is big.)
One day when I picked him up from school and asked if he was learning about the letter "E", he said, "Yes, but we also were reviewing "W".
When it suddenly got cold and windy on Wednesday, and we were getting out of the car to drop him at school, he opened the door of the car and said, "Ooh la la!"
Today on the way to church, we were listening to Muzzy and on one part the characters are teaching the days of the week. The man and woman say that they are playing basketball, soccer, tennis, golf, exercising and other sports activities each day of the week. After listening to them, Nathan looked up and said, "Don't they ever go to work?"
Hannah also has had a few comical moments.
She has misunderstood when I told Nathan that Daddy and I could do certain things that kids can't do because we are grown ups. One night she told me that I was the kid and Daddy was the kid and she and Nathan were the "donuts". It took me a little while to figure out what she meant and then she couldn't figure out why I was laughing.
She has also confused some phrases in French. Before we go to sleep we say "good night" and "I love you" in French. Rather than saying "I love you" in French (Je t 'aime). Hannah keeps saying "I'm hungry" (J'ai faim).
Today I got out the plastic eggs and told them to hide them from each other and then hunt them like they did at church. Nathan hid the eggs while Hannah hid her face and then she hunted them. Then Nathan was hiding his face and Hannah took the basket and disappeared. Nathan kept calling out, "Are you ready?" Hannah answered in a muffled voice, "Yes!" Then Nathan went to look for the eggs in the living room. We couldn't find them or Hannah. We kept looking for her and calling her. Then she stuck her head out of the closet with the whole basket of eggs in her hand. She had apparently confused the game with hide 'n seek.
So we are still laughing today. We have definitely had moments of complete and utter chaos as Simon Cowell would say, but we are doing well over all. We have dinner plans this evening for which I am so thankful! I have taken them to McDonald's more than I care to admit and am not too proud of the meals I've offered when we don't go out either. It isn't a whole lot of fun to clean out the freezer, refrigerator and cabinets. Tomorrow the Easter Bunny will bring too much candy, but the Easter Bunny that comes to our house, will not be hiding any eggs outside. He (she) is not crazy!
Happy Easter!
1 comment:
You guys have almost made it!!! I was just thinking the other day how much time until Joey gets home.
Post a Comment