We survived week one. Language is a big focus for our family at this time. Just in this last week, Hannah's speech has become more clear and her sentences more complete. As she is able to express herself better verbally, her meltdowns and tantrums have lessened. This is true only when she is well rested and well fed. She is still battling naps at this time, but she does fall asleep even after a battle most of the time. Today, I sacrificed her nap so that we could get out and enjoy the beautiful day. We walked to the park and played. Then walked to the library. It was gorgeous out and because the forecast doesn't look so gorgeous--and no matter how many times I check weather.com the forecast doesn't improve--I felt we needed to get out and enjoy it while we can. Because she missed her nap, she did have a bit more trouble communicating her needs this evening and after a week's worth of progress, she cried herself to sleep tonight. Nathan was so tired that he managed to fall asleep through her tantrum. They both had a really good day despite its ending. The kids played well together at the park today. We played a game of "Trolls", invented by Nathan and his friend Hannah. I'm sure the other parents at the park thought it was very strange that I was calling my children trolls and chasing them around the park, but they had the best time so who cares?
We are also focusing on another language...French, of course. We have been watching our Muzzy DVD every night before bed and listening to the CD in the car. We are all picking up a few phrases and I am actually understanding the parts that I have seen over and over. Hannah was counting in French with me at the park today. I am hoping to learn through the children's program because I can't imagine how I will ever have time to take the French lessons I'm supposed to take once we get to Belgium. I'd love to, but my only down time is late at night and I'm not sure I'll find a tutor with those hours.
Joe has had an exhausting week with language issues of his own. He spends all day with co-workers who are more comfortable speaking German. He is also taking on the tasks of finding us a home, two vehicles, appliances, setting up banking and loans, all with people who are more comfortable speaking languages other than English. At the end of each day, he is exhausted from trying to communicate. It is kind of funny that he and Hannah probably feel very similarly right now. If anyone sees my husband on the ground kicking and screaming in the streets of Belgium, it is because he is hungry and can't read any of the menus! He has resorted to sandwiches in his apartment for now.
We have been able to talk to him every day, but the 6 hour time difference makes it more difficult for any private conversations. We try to stay aware of what time it is in Belgium so that we are home to tell Daddy goodnight. Nathan has started asking me, "What time is it in Daddy's world?" Daddy's bedtime falls right around dinner time here and the kids seem to be at their craziest. They love that they can see him and show him things on Skype. Daddy even tried to read one of Nathan's TMNT books through the computer this evening. I have to say I appreciate the effort. The Ninja Turtle books are not my favorite pieces of literature, but they are Nathan's passion at the moment. They are so commonplace around here that Hannah was even "reading" one of them to her baby this afternoon. She even has the lingo down. I heard her use the words "Purple Dragons" and "dude" as she was reading.
Week two is ahead of us now. We are all a little more tired than we were last week, but our outlook is positive. We just have 11 more days to cross off on the calendar before Daddy comes back and then the real adventure begins.
No comments:
Post a Comment