Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Deja Vu





Around 2 years ago or so, when Nathan was about the age Hannah is now and Hannah was around the age Sarah is now, I took the kids to Wal-Mart one evening to buy something--I can't even remember what. Joe was at the gym just down the street from us. I pulled into the parking lot, parked, got Nathan out, then reached in and got Hannah's infant seat. I had a routine where I locked the doors and then put the keys in the bag because it was hard to put them in the bag without dumping everything out while holding Hannah's seat. In hindsight, it was not a very good routine, but hey, it worked for me. Until that day. Nathan was being his very helpful self and closed the door for me. Unfortunately, he closed it before I had my bag and therefore, my bag, my cell phone and the keys were all locked in the car. He was so proud that he had helped and I had to squash his little spirit by completely freaking out. I took them into Wal-Mart and went to the customer service desk to use the phone. I am so cell phone dependent that I didn't (and still don't) know any phone numbers to call. Joe was unavailable. Calling and leaving a message at home was a waste of time because he didn't check messages (I did it anyway). So I walked around a bit, but had no money to buy anything. I contemplated walking home, but it was pretty far and I didn't have a key or a garage door opener. Finally I decided to walk toward the gym and hope to meet Joe on his way home. I had to do that while carrying Hannah's infant seat and carrying Nathan part of the way. He did walk some of the way, poor little guy. So we got to the corner just about the same time as Joe pulled up to the light--looking very surprised to see his family standing at the corner. We were saved. The worst part was that the car had a keypad! Guess who had never taken the time to learn the code to use that keypad? That was one moment I did not care to relive.
Well, Monday I almost did. Nathan was at preschool. I was getting ready to load the girls into the car and we literally had the 10 minutes it takes to get to his preschool to pick him up. Hannah went out the door ahead of me and climbed into the lovely minivan (we had left the door open when we got home). For some reason known only to her, she climbed in the open back door, pushed the button to close it and climbed out the front door and closed it. Apparently she had pushed another button before she closed that door and the key was in the car. I freaked out again. Hannah was oblivious to the situation as she grabbed the sidewalk chalk and began decorating the driveway. My bag and cell phone were also in the car. I called the preschool first to let them know what was going on. I tried to call a couple of locksmiths, but one didn't answer and the other one wasn't available until 6! Ugh!! I called Joe because I didn't know what else to do. He was practicing his French, but took the time to call the rental place and get someone here to unlock the car. Meanwhile, I ran over to our neighbor's house and she was home and available to take us all to pick up Nathan. He was fine. Someone was reading a book to him and he did not seem at all traumatized. Once he was home and I realized he was not scarred, the drama was over. The AAA guy showed up and unlocked the car in about 2 seconds. You probably think he was our saviour, not so. I have a mental list of people I'd like Joe to bring some Belgian chocolate home for and Joy, my neighbor, just reached the top of that list. She dropped everything and had her afternoon completely interrupted to drive a crazed mom with 3 car seats across town and I am so thankful. Hopefully some day I can pass the favor on to someone else--I can't be the only one this happens too. If history truly does repeat itself, I suppose I will live through this little ritual one more time in a couple of years when Miss Sarah is a little over two years old. In the meantime, for all of you chocolate lovers out there, if by chance we need rescuing again, you might want to keep the reward for rescuing us in mind...

No comments:

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet