Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Once Bitten





We had a fun playdate today. The kids were able to run and play at an indoor soccer field and they had a great time. However, just before we were getting ready to leave, I got the kids into a game of soccer and then had to go and get Sarah when she woke up. Nathan and his friend, Conner, were playing with Hannah and another little two-year-old joined in. Suddenly I heard Hannah crying hard and Conner calling, "Hannah's Mom, come quick!"

Hannah doesn't cry like that unless she's really hurt so I hurried over to see what had happened. Hannah had the imprint of the other two-year-old's teeth on her cheek. His mom had come over to see what happened too and was asking Hannah if she was tired. I said, "Um, no I think she was bitten". His mom was shocked because he had never done that before. I know she was embarrassed and uncomfortable since we don't know each other well. I've been in her shoes before. Nathan bit someone in daycare and I was devastated. Then, of course, Hannah bit Nathan numerous times.

Anyway, she was comforted and they played a little longer before we packed up and headed home. As the day went on, the mark showed up a little more and I asked her if her cheek hurt and looked at it closely once or twice. Later, when they were playing with our neighbors, Kathleen asked her what happened. She scowled and said, "Someone bit me. It was Ryan. He wanted the ball. It was terrible!" I had to laugh at her version of the story.

She told Daddy a similar story later and mentioned it a few times throughout the evening. Tonight I convinced Nathan to trade his TMNT books in for his Dinosaur book. Unfortunately, the book has a lot of comments about bites and biting. Every time I read those words, Hannah would repeat her little story. "Someone bit me. Ryan bit my cheek. It was terrible!"

I reminded her that she was once the biter in the little story, but she couldn't seem to grasp that. "NO! SOMEONE BIT ME! IT WAS TERRIBLE!"

No comments:

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet