We were just discussing how many weeks we have been in this apartment and though at times it seems like forever, we both guessed less time than it has actually been. We have been here 4 weeks which means, if all of the stars are aligned just right and the workers get their work done, we are halfway done with the temporary living part!
Sarah was 4 months old yesterday. She had her first Belgian "well check" on Wednesday and, of course, she is fabulous. She was 6.1 kilos (so I was a little off when choosing her diapers last weekend--but in my defense, I have been carrying her everywhere in her car seat and my arms tell me she weighs at least 20 lbs!). For the metric system challenged, she is about 13 1/2 pounds. (She is also 61 cm or 24 in) She is following her curve on the growth chart perfectly--something the Belgian doctor did not mention, but I plotted myself on her old records. They just asked what she was "drinking" and when I said breast milk only, they said, "Good, good". They asked if she takes vitamins and I said, "No" (wincing, waiting for my scolding). Instead, they asked, "You take?" I said, "Yes". They said, "Good, good". No other questions. I'm sure they ask the French speaking moms more questions, but their English was only a little better than my French so thankfully I am not a first time mom and Sarah is doing so well. This little one has had more comments on her hair than I ever thought possible. As it gets longer, it gets curlier. After her bath or nap or in any humidity, it is very curly. It has lightened a little, but is still very dark brown. Her eyes are still blue, but they have changed too. She smiles constantly and remains very easy going. She giggles with us each day until she gives herself the hiccups. Her only frustration is when we keep her out past her bedtime. She also continues to baffle us by sleeping so well.
Yesterday, we took our kids plus one friend for Nathan to Bruparck in Brussels. There are tons of things to do there, but we spent the afternoon at the indoor water park. It was too cold to swim outside. We all had a wonderful time and were so exhausted when we got home. We encountered our first experience with crowd control for a soccer game. There were people everywhere and it appeared there were enough riot police to keep them under control--if not, I don't know that there are enough riot police in the entire continent to keep the peace. We had never seen anything quite like it. We did see one fight between opposing fans. At one point our car was surrounded by walking fans. It was a little terrifying. We were very hopeful that our car or clothing in no way supported the opposing team. Soccer is serious business here.
Today Daddy is running his first 20K in Brussels with his co-workers. In fact, he should be starting about now. The kids and I are just hanging out here rather than taking on the madness of the race, the lack of parking and the fact that it is right in the middle of the girls' nap time. We are cheering him on from a distance and looking forward to the celebratory dinner this evening.
A bientot!
Hannah Jumping at Bruparck from tsechief on Vimeo
1 comment:
That is exactly what Julia weighed and her same height. Even though the doctor told me she was growing just perfectly I always worry. Mainly because people like to tell me she is so petite. Maybe they just need to keep their comments to themselves:) Our pool just opened this weekend and I can't wait to take her swimming!
Post a Comment