Tuesday, May 22, 2007

S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G


Like most parents we find ourselves spelling things out while talking in front of the children to keep them in the dark. This is becoming increasingly more difficult with Nathan around as he is learning to sound out letters and read. He is also very interested in all conversation and it seems that spelling words only intrigues him so that his little ears perk up even more.

We decided to use the bank ING here in Belgium (pronounced E N G by the French here) and of course we alternate referring to it as ING or ENG in conversation. Before we left on our trip last week, Daddy commented that he was going to run over to the ING to get some cash. Nathan perked up, "I know what that is!" I didn't pay much attention to that comment until later when Hannah asked where Daddy was while we were sitting in the car waiting. "At the bank", I said.

Nathan smiled, "I knew it!" I looked at him strangely for a moment and then realized what he was thinking. "Did you think we were spelling something earlier when we said where Daddy was going?"

Nathan said very matter-of-factly, "You were spelling, Mom. I heard you say I-N-G".

Can't put much past this guy.

1 comment:

~Shelia said...

Our days of spelling things out in front of Duncan are LONNNNNNG gone. There is little that gets past him, especially since he has been reading like a fiend for over a year and is a cracker-jack speller. AND to top it off, Duncan knows more sign language than Jason, so not even signing helps!

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet