Tuesday, June 12, 2007

My Hell Is The Closet I'm Stuck Inside...










Sing it, Dave. We're singing with you. I know, I know I was the one who posted about living in IKEA and how it "isn't that bad". Well, that was 6 weeks ago!! I am done.
I posted about this song soooo long ago for a completely different reason, Hannah had "so much to say". Now, the words that repeat over and over in my head are those in the above title. Let me explain...
At precisely 7:15 AM our buzzer rang. I picked up the phone, not recognizing the faces on the camera. (They were not outside our apartment door, but at the main entrance downstairs). After I said, "Yes?" The man immediately began speaking French. I understood nothing. So I asked, "Parlez -vous anglais?" One man said, "Oui" and then proceeded to speak in French. Okay, the reason I asked is because I needed you to start speaking in English not just for my general knowledge. So I handed off the phone to Daddy who managed to get them to speak English. I heard him say, "Oh, to repair the lift? Okay". Then he unlocked the door for them. I did think briefly that they could be some crazy psycho killers and we were the only ones who would let them in, but I quickly forgot that when I realized that if they were indeed here to repair the lift, I was going to have to take...THE STAIRS! So what?, you're thinking. Take the stairs then, you big wimp. Oh, that's right, you haven't seen the stairs here. They are not traditional American stairs that are wide and go up gradually at a nice, gentle angle. No, they are winding, steep, narrow, complicated stairs in which a baby in her American car seat barely fit and are quite unmanageable for a 2 1/2 year old.
So we went on about our morning. Dressed, breakfast, gathered all belongings and walked into the hall. For good measure, we pushed the elevator button. Of course it did not come. So we began the descent. I could not carry all of my things, Sarah's car seat, Hannah's things (keep in mind her obsession with bringing things on outings) and hold Hannah's hand at the same time. Therefore I had to make several trips down each flight. Each time I left Hannah she was crying, "Mommy, don't leave me!" and each time I went back for her she didn't want to let go of my hand. I was nervous leaving her and the baby on the tiny landing because if either of them were to fall...I don't want to think about it. Somehow we managed to get into the garage and into the car. Nathan said, "That was hard for me!" Comic relief for Mommy.
To make matters more complicated, today had to be grocery day. We skipped the store yesterday because Sarah and I have both not been feeling well, but today it was required. As I made my purchases, I said a silent prayer of thanks that we had already bought drinks and I wasn't going to have to carry heavy things like water bottles, pop bottles and milk. Of course, we managed. Everyone is happy and fine. 13 more days before we can move into the house. 17 more days of this apartment. Contrary to what the song says, we can see the light!





Life In A Closet from tsechief on Vimeo




***For the curious. The pictures are of our grocery purchases. Due to the lack of preservatives and small refridgerator space (also pictured), we buy less and more often. There is also a picture of the stairs (there are 3 more flights just like these--as we happen to be on the top floor). Also the promised pictures of the tight space in the garage I park in each day, the poles I have so far managed to avoid hitting, and the roller coaster entrance.***

***Hannah does own pants. She has decided she would like to wear her Dora panties today and because she has not proven herself capable of alerting the proper authorities when she needs to potty, she isn't allowed to wear pants unless she is wearing a diaper.***

2 comments:

Kat said...

Julia was mesmorized by the video. I think she liked the music. As for the living situation I can't imagine how tight it must be with all five of you. I complain and there is only three in our little townhome. I just haven't talked Graham into buying a house yet.

Katie said...

nora loved the video too. i think she has just recently discovered moving pictures. i feel for your stair situation with your american car seat. hope they fix the lift soon!
your girls are precious (and nathan too).

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet