Today on the way to swimming, Nathan told me that he wanted to have a playdate with a friend. The only strange part about that is that this friend is a girl. Strange because he doesn't really play with girls, or so he would have me believe. He went on to tell me that some of his other friends make fun of him for "loving K."
Okay, hold on. He loves her? This is news to me. I did not mock him in any way. (It really bugs me when adults embarrass kids about anything that to the kid is serious.) I just let him talk. He told me that he decided to tell his friends that she is not his girlfriend, but she knows. She knows she is his girlfriend because he told her himself and he knows he is her boyfriend "because of the kiss". Wait a minute...another news flash. What kiss?
Apparently, a long, long time ago on the very first day of kindergarten, she kissed him. He has recently decided he likes her too. He told me that his friends say he is going to marry K. This is the part I love...
"Well, of course I am going to marry her, but not for about 20 years. Here are the reasons why...First, she likes me. Second, I like her. Third, I have never been to her house. Fourth, she is not older than me. Fifth, we're in the same class."
This little speech was completely unsolicited. He just wanted to tell me about his girlfriend today and I must say, I'm flattered. (Daddy already knew he had a crush on K and another little girl, but I was flattered to be the one he told about the big decision and the "l" word.)
Well, she is really sweet. She has a younger sister whom Hannah adores. They are quite good friends. I suppose he has my approval for this long engagement.
Hannah always wants to do whatever Nathan is doing so has decided she wants to marry K as well. When Nathan told her she had to marry a boy, she chose Daddy. Then Nathan told her that no, it had to be a "boy like me" and she decided she would choose him. No, he told her, you can't marry your family. "Well, Mommy did", she pointed out.
With all of the marriage confusion, I offerred to let them watch our wedding video before bed. We watched the first part and stopped it in spite of the very loud protests from the monkeys. They wanted to know "what happens next?" Daddy said, "You are what happens next".
Totally confusing Hannah who wanted to know exactly where she was in each scene of "the movie".
So Daddy is home this week. Life was very busy the last two weekends which happened to both be holiday weekends here. We celebrated Mother's Day with friends. We have been outside enjoying the abundance of sunshine as much as we possibly can. The sunshine is great and very draining. We're putting the children to bed with the help of our portable a/c, lots of fans and the darkening shades. The days are already so much longer and it feels as though someone turned on a switch marked "summer" these last 2 weeks. It is wonderful, but hard for the kids considering they have over a month of school left.
I got the most amazing Mother's Day gifts. (Pictured above--also a sweet little note Nathan wrote before Mother's Day that I keep in my wallet.) From Nathan a bookmark, a hand made card, a potted plant and a drawing. From Hannah a bumble bee necklace. From Sarah, her first steps--yes, she fell down both times, but she did attempt for the first time on Mother's Day so I must give her due credit. Today she stepped from the couch to the table without holding on for just a brief second. She is on her way. I have to wonder if we might have hindered her a bit. We brought in the trusty "bike" that has been around since Nathan first used it as he learned to walk/run through our house in Plano, and she has decided that she would much prefer to ride it. She is getting around really well on it and last night when we told the kids it was time to go upstairs for baths, she rode it over to the stairs, parked it and climbed right up. She promptly threw a fit about halfway up the stairs once she realized the bike wasn't coming up with her. Hopefully it is just a phase and we will not have to invest in a Hoveround for our 15 month old.
Everyone is doing well. We're so thankful to have Daddy home for a bit and enjoying this amazing weather. Who says it rains all the time in Belgium?
3 comments:
This is too cute! Thanks for making my day. -- Emily
We all have our five year old crushes. Ummm mine was Bryan who lived down the street. Our moms dressed us up and took us to see the play Annie. He snored the entire time. What a date.
So cute:)
Your kids crack me up!! They are too smart, aren't they? Are Nathan and K registering at Toys R Us?
Post a Comment