Lately with all of the attempts at French I've made, only to end up speaking mostly English because I don't know the in between words, you can see why I find this especially funny. Maybe Joe and I can work on a French version. He can call himself Giancarlo, after our landlord's son.
When we first moved into the house we had a few requests and Giancarlo handled most of it because he is the only member of the family who speaks English fairly well. One day he called me and said (insert French accent here), "Ello Neekee, I am Giancarlo". (Long pause, as if waiting for recognition) (It wasn't the first time we had spoken--this is the literal translation of "This is Giancarlo" and it always makes me think of someone like Zoro riding up and introducing himself) Then he said, "Can I come today for the shower? You know your man likes to take a shower standing up?" (This was met with a long period of silence from me as I took in what he said and translated it in my head...)
Translation: Can we come and install the new shower head on the wall rather than behind the faucet as it is now? "your man" = your husband
Without the translation, that conversation could be interpreted many ways. It has also kept us laughing for well over a year now. "My man" gives me a hard time about Giancarlo always calling my phone first and I give "my man" a hard time about Giancarlo knowing how he likes to take a shower.
No comments:
Post a Comment