Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Saga


UPDATE: We saw two doctors today and both recommended an oral antibiotic--the ophthalmologist made a follow up appointment for tomorrow morning at 10 and if there is no change, he will be admitted for IV antibiotics. There is no change from this morning, but the swelling has decreased from yesterday. It is still red, hard and warm to the touch. Daddy is on standby--if he is admitted tomorrow, Daddy can be home by tomorrow night. If there are any signs of it getting worse tonight, we have someone to come and stay with the girls so that I can take him back to the ER. I am going to give the medication every 8 hours regardless of the time to make sure he gets treatment as fast as possible. Please pray that this time it works and he doesn't have to be admitted to the hospital. He seems to be feeling fine today and he's not complaining of any pain. He's a tough little guy.







So we thought it was better. Saturday he almost looked like his old self. We went ahead with our planned trip to Disneyland. On Sunday it started looking bad again and by yesterday it was almost swollen shut. We drove directly to the hospital from Paris (Belgium Independence Day was yesterday) and saw another pediatrician there. More blood, more potential IV antibiotics. They determined that it looks like a localized infection and gave him a prescription for antibiotic eye drops and eye ointment. Again, because we aren't familiar with the system here, it took us until after 11 PM to get the prescription filled. We called our pediatrician this morning and he seconded their opinion that he see an ophthalmologist. We tried to get an appointment, but have to go back to the ER this afternoon in order to see one before September. Thankfully someone has offered to watch the girls while I take him this afternoon so hopefully it will be less stressful. (We really aren't sure of what time to go and how long it will take but our pediatrician said they are usually in surgery in the morning and it is best to go in the afternoon so we don't have to wait for hours). Daddy came home Friday evening and was with us all weekend, but had to leave again at 4:45 this morning for the States.



So even though I'd rather be posting all of the fun pictures from our trip (they did have a good time in spite of the constant worry over Nathan's eye yesterday), here are updates on his eye. The first one is from Saturday evening. The second one last night at the hospital and the last one from this morning--it almost looks like there is a bump or a bite mark now, but it is so hard to tell anymore! Prayers are much appreciated. We are getting weary.

4 comments:

Kat said...

Oh I am so sorry. I can't imagine how frustrating this is and poor Nathan.

We are always thinking of you and sending our love. Good luck at the doctor!

The Lenz Family said...

I will keep you guys in our prayers. I wish we lived close and I could watch the girls for you too while you take him around. Please tell him that Mr. James and Miss Sydney are thinking of him and praying he gets better. We miss you guys so much!

The Boos from Booville said...

You guys are in our prayers. I want to give you a big hug. Please get better soon Nathan!

Katie said...

oh nicci! i just checked in again, to find the saga continued. poor little man. i am sending healthy prayers your way. i hope you get some answers and a cure of some sort soon. it breaks my heart!

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet