Monday, December 15, 2008

Shrinkage



Okay so since moving here, we've learned that people pee pretty much anywhere. It isn't all that uncommon to see someone peeing on the street or in the forest. We see people pulled over to the side of the road on freeways and even at rest stops (with toilets inside) peeing just out in the open.


Generally there is a charge of 30 cents or more to use the toilets here. Even the ones at the movies after you've already paid to see the movie! Shocking, I know. There is usually an elderly woman sitting there to take the money and she follows in after the toilet is used to clean it and sometimes sprays some scented spray. Not one of the best jobs ever. Generally they are pretty nice little old ladies. Sort of the equivalent to the Wal-Mart greeters in the States, but I have actually had one of them charge me double price for myself and Hannah because "Madame, deux entrer". Yeah, whatever. I'm really going to send my 3 year old to the toilet alone and it isn't like I would ask her to clean it in between us.


Anyway, suffice it to say, there isn't that much that surprises us in the way of toilets or peeing anymore. BUT...as we headed to the Christmas market on Saturday we passed a church with a line of men standing in "the position" along the wall. Upon closer inspection, we saw that the church had provided actual urinals on the outside of the building just for this purpose. Nice. Let me tell you, it is cold out there people! Pay the 30 cents! The title of this post is the first thing that came to mind..."like a frightened turtle".


2 comments:

the three amigos said...

Oh my goodness! Peeing anywhere?! PU!!! The 'frightened turtle' comment made me laugh! It's COOOOOLD! haha!

The Crites Family said...

Yeah - why pay when you can just go on the outside of the church! I'll never forget being stuck on the ring road coming home from work one night - really bad accident with a really bad backup. I kind of had to go, but of course, I'm American and have enough decency to wait until I get home - or get off the highway to find a gas station. But, while waiting and trying not to think about how badly I had to go, I noticed the lady in the car in front of me open her door, jump out, hike up her skirt and just squat to do her business! RIGHT ON THE RING ROAD! I was only mildly shocked since this was the 3rd year we were living there and this type of thing was mostly common-place. Now, in America, I have to caution Hayden 'not to go in the trees! We're in America now, find an actual restroom!' :-) And, it's FREE! Woohoo! Such luxury.

Also, one last comment (sorry this is so long)...I remember reading somewhere that those ladies collecting the cents in the restrooms actually take home 50% or more of what they collect. In some cases, they make quite a fair living at it! (if I remember correctly, one lady took home nearly 40,000 Euro for the year!! Not bad...although, I still wouldn't do it).

On that note: wishing you and yours a VERY HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! :-)

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet