Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Observations


Disclaimer: This might read more like a complaint, but it really is just some observations about some differences between Sarah's Belgian preschool to the only other school I know.

Today when I dropped Sarah off at her school, she walked in just as she always does. Then she looked around at the two other children in the room and started clinging to me, as she has done for about a month now. (Prior to that she would walk in, head straight to the books sitting on a table, sit down and wave "Au revoir" to me).
I picked her up and headed to the table of books because that seemed to be her favorite before. I picked up a book that was about the body (in French). As we flipped through the pages, we came to a page with a fully nude boy and girl with carefully labeled parts. These were not drawings, but real kids. Because we have been living here a while now, I can't say I was shocked, but I did think to myself, "Wow, don't think I'd ever see that in the US!" I can't imagine American parents ever having their children pose for those pictures. Just don't think it would happen. I am pretty laid back compared with most of my friends when it comes to posting pictures of my kids and writing about them on the Internet (obviously), but even I can't imagine putting fully nude pictures of them in a book. Just different...
When I came to pick her up, she was outside playing on the playground (whoo hoo the sun is shining!) and she saw my car and started pointing excitedly to the teacher. I waved and smiled and got out of the car. As I was closing the door, I looked up and there she was. She ran right to me in the parking lot. Again, I thought, "Hmmmm. Don't think that would have happened in the US either". I don't think she would have run past me into the actual traffic flow, but the fact that the teacher just watched her run to me and showed no sign of concern was a bit...different.
Each time she goes to school, she has a little craft she has made and each time, the entire class has done exactly the same thing. They don't vary in color or size. Very uniform. Today she learned about moods or feelings. I found it interesting the mood and color they chose to send home. Different.

(Pictured above: Je suis de mauvaise humeur = I am in a bad mood)

2 comments:

The Boos from Booville said...

The picture says I am in a bad mood? Really? Wow - that is kinda...different. When y'all come back, she's going to think we're a bunch of nervous nellie's, huh?

The Crites Family said...

LOL This brought back memories. When Hayden went to the Montessori school (before St. J's), he would ride the van from his 'day school' to another location for his 'after school'. One day, he said to me something to the effect of, 'when the driver had to stop really fast, I went whoosh!' and he made a motion with his hand to imply that he flew off the seat. So, no seat belts, then??? Why did I give them that booster seat when he first started riding the 'bus'? Come to think of it, did they even ask for it, or did I just give it under the assumption they'd be asking for it??

Another time, I went to pick him up at the after school where, on nice days, he'd play out in their 'garden'. This garden had a little wooden play house that you could walk into if you ducked (and were 4 years old). I went in once and noticed, much to my American naivete, that inside this house there was a piece of wood missing from a section, leaving the rusty nails it *should* have been nailed to exposed!!! Right at Hayden's eye level! You can imagine the nightmares I'd have during the day, praying that he wasn't playing tag with a friend and running/tripping into that house. When I finally did get the courage to say something to the Director, I found him sitting at the picnic table with a 'friend' drinking champagne! While 'after school' was going on!! What the heck?? After a while, you do just kind of chuckle and shake your head. And it's no wonder why we were so thrilled to switch him to St. J's!!!

Hope you're all doing well...sorry this is so long (again).

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet