Thursday, June 18, 2009

Astronomical Odors

I'm sure I've mentioned that we find our home to be very odorous compared to previous homes. In the beginning odors from the kitchen, closet, and attic were almost too much for us to handle. Under the kitchen sink there was an opening for the dishwasher pipes that led directly outside. We could see (and smell) dirt every time we opened the cabinet and sometimes we could smell it without them being open. Our daddy set to work sealing up the smelly holes around our house and now we have very few constant odors. We do have a very unpleasant one in the office corner of our "living room" (the downstairs of our house is divided up so strangely, it is hard to label areas simply like "the office" or "the living room", but we try) that creeps in and out. We have never determined the source and so we try to ignore it. Once when I was venting about it on facebook, a friend pointed out that "that is why some people call it 'Smellgium'". I got a good laugh out of that one...
Along with the unexplained odors, we do have 3 relatively new toilet users living here and one of them has the added challenge of standing up to use the toilet, though it has been about 5 years now, so I'm wondering if it ever improves. Our downstairs toilet has been one of the odorous rooms that we have accepted as part of our lives here, but recently the odor has changed. On top of the foul odor we've grown accustomed to (well, not really), the distinct smell of urine has crept in. At first, I was sure that one of the children had missed the toilet and I took out the little rug to wash it. Nope. I then cleaned the floor around the toilet. Nothing exceptional there, but the odor was better for a while. A few days later, it was back. After the floor was cleaned, better. I began to suspect a certain male toilet user in the family.
Then one day after the male toilet user I hadn't suspected came out of the toilet and Hannah was the next in, I overheard this:
Hannah: "EWWWWW...disgusting! There is peepee on the floor!"
Anonymous Toilet User: "Oh, did I....? Oh, sorry let me see..."
Me: "What?!?! It was you all this time!?!?"
I'll leave the rest of the conversation to the imagination of the reader.
Suffice it to say I was once again reminded that urinating while standing is a challenge. (Wow, that post was a LONG time ago!)
We moved on, but every time I am in the downstairs toilet a good mood can go immediately bad. Who wants their bathroom to smell like a college dorm?
Then this morning, the original suspect was using the toilet upstairs and I happened to observe his technique. The following conversation ensued:
Me: "You are getting pee everywhere! You need to aim it and look at what you are doing!"
Original suspect: "Why?"
Me: "Because if you don't the peepee doesn't go in the toilet and that is why it smells like urine in here!"
Orignial suspect: (Incredulous look on face). "How do you know what Uranus smells like?"

This is what happens when parents do not make a point to teach children the proper names of both body parts and the human processes of eliminating waste. He's almost 7 years old and he doesn't know the word "urine". I once read a blog in which a mom described her early potty training techniques and in it she mentioned that from the time her children were very little and she caught them peeing or pooping in the middle of diaper change she would say something like, "Sweetie, good job! You are urinating!" or "Way to go! You're having a bowel movement!" Sorry, but that is not for me. We actually started out more as a "Do you need to go potty?" family, but living here it has been changed to "Do you need to go to the toilet?" Even Sarah corrects me when I ask her, "Do you need to go potty?"..."No, I go toilet". I once heard a mom with her kids in local school say that the local teacher was very confused by her daughter asking "to go potty". I've read in some of the French books around that they use the expression "fait pipi" (to make pee pee) for little children, and the toilet phrase also works so I figured we were better off using those here. However, it appears that we've got some vocabulary expanding to do before our son goes and tells all of his classmates that certain planets smell like pee.

2 comments:

BelgiumBound said...

Nicci,
You had me in stitches! I was laughing so hard I needed to go to the toilet myself!
Just a little FYI: My little 7 year old leaves evidence, so I don't even have to question who the guilty one is. :)

Kat said...

What about the big boys who still can't make the toilet?>

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet