Sunday, January 03, 2010

It's Been A While

I knew it would be a blur.  I knew it would be both wonderful and disappointing at times. 

It was.

We're back and jet lagged and there have been frustrations, but in the big picture everything is well.  Kids are all tucked in with visions of school in the morning.  We returned to a sunny and snow covered Brussels rather than the cloudy and wet one we were anticipating.  A very welcome gift for those of us who found it hard to leave the sunshine of Texas and Colorado (some people were complaining that it was "too bright!"--I don't think I will ever feel that way again).  It is such a strange mix of emotions to want vacation to be over, but not to want to come back.

We're missing one bag (the very imporant wardrobes of two little fashionistas) and after listening to the radio for a few minutes while waiting for Daddy to search for said bag, the car battery decided it didn't have enough energy to start the car.  Finding the cables and help was not easy, but we did find it.  Almost 3 hours after we landed, we were home and tackling the luggage challenges that come from packing beloved items from home (the other "home") that leak and break and crunch in the process of travel.  There are some dolls drying in the laundry room along with their clothes after an unplanned bath in mouthwash; some ski clothes recovering from a soak in maple syrup; the kids' stockings shared the mouthwash bath and are also recovering.  Most of our beloved snacks are now bags of delicious crumbs...Considering all of our importing during our time here, this time was the hardest on the imports.  Ah well, those are just the details.

When we are less tired I think it will hit just how much we miss everyone.  For the moment, we are all a little dazed and the kids are excited to see their friends tomorrow and maybe even play in the snow.  Right back into it for another 6 weeks until winter break, which will be just that for most of us.  Daddy will be in New York, but we'll be just hanging out, taking a break.

Thanks so much for all of the hospitality during our trip home.  We can't say it enough.  We are so thankful to those who open up homes and lives for us.  Thank all of you most of all for your time.  We cherish every moment.  I think the lesson we learned on this trip is spend more time with loved ones and less time collecting those trouble causing imports.  Good night!

4 comments:

Eigna said...

Glad you made it home safe. :)

Katie said...

Sorry I missed you guys!!! Glad you are all safe back "home."

Kat said...

Makes me sad to think of when i will see you next. I still love the idea of girls trip so keep working on that! I am glad that you are all safe and I enjoyed every minute that I saw you!

Sara said...

Thank you sooooo much for the beautiful fruit basket I just received from Hood River of all places. We also enjoyed having all of you here in Colorado-hope you'll come back. Thanks again, we'll enjoy it with Alex and his friends tomorrow! Sara

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet