Thursday, March 04, 2010

Quilted Quicker Picker Upper

Having done a lot of cleaning up of messes last night and today, I was reminded of a recent purchase that made me laugh a little.

I trade off going to the grocery store here, Delhaize, and to the more Wal-Martesque, Carrefour.  I sometimes go to both in one week and sometimes just one or the other, depending on what I need.  They each have different things that I like, except when they don't.  Anyway, I generally buy paper towels at Carrefour because they are more what I have learned to consider "bulk".  At Delhaize the largest package probably has three rolls in it and at Carrefour there are as many as eight rolls.

About a year and half ago when we were visiting my parents, my mom came walking into the kitchen with a roll of paper towels and I almost fell over.  It was HUGE!  I could not believe how much my perspective had changed in just a short time living here.  (Granted, it was probably the most jumbo sized roll sold in the US, like from a Sam's or Costco, but I had completely forgotten what a roll of paper towels from home looked like). Not sure why I had to find a link since most people who read this can just look at their own paper towel rolls, but maybe I needed a reminder.

I have never seen anything here even remotely close to the size of the one I saw at my mom's house, but a couple of weeks ago when I walked down the paper product isle at the grocery store, I saw this:

I guess this is as "bulk" as that grocery store gets.  There are just two rolls of paper towels in the package.  I mean when they are XXL rolls, why would you need more than two?

With all of the clean-ups around here we are going through the paper towels more than usual (I've tried to switch to using towels and cloth napkins, but I'm on a mission to get rid of the nastiness and germs so I'm all about disposable at the moment) and I went to replace the roll in the kitchen today.  Since I bought two packages of the XXL rolls, I have also bought an 8 pack of the regular sized rolls.  (You can take the girl out of America...)  Just for kicks I had to see what the difference between XXL and "regular" really is:


Striking, huh?

After doing a little "research" I discovered that Americans of a certain era could relate somewhat...







"Comes in regular and the Jumbo size!"

No comments:

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet