Friday, August 12, 2011

At The Cottage

As I've mentioned "at the cottage" is a common phrase around these parts and this summer we have been fortunate enough to be invited to join two families at their cottages.  Tonight we'll add another commonly used phrase..."camping up North".  Yes, we are actually going camping for the first time ever.  It isn't actually real, hardcore camping--we're staying in a furnished cabin with running water, beds and a kitchen, but that is about as "rough" as this mom gets.  I'm like Oprah.  I have a nice house, why would I want to sleep outside? ;)

Grace, Sarah, Sadie and Hannah ready for a boat ride!


Tommy and Nathan enjoying the boat ride.
The smaller cottage in the middle is the one most of our family refers to as "Grace's Cottage".  It actually belongs to her grandparents, but they all spend a lot of the summer out here.  The two larger houses on either side are rebuilds where people live year round.  We have to admit that we do get the appeal of a summer cottage, but having once been boat owners we are pretty realistic about the maintenance and work that goes with owning recreational items.  We always said it was more fun to have friends who have a boat, than to actually have a boat...that applies to cottages too.
Swans!
Politically minded neighbors!

I think these pictures  really express Grace and Sarah's friendship.  (Grace fell down the front steps and scraped her face up bad enough to require a visit to urgent care that day...it is still healing!)  They really listen to each other and enjoy each other's company.  These girls have a pretty amazing bond. :)

Daddy took ALL 6 KIDS on a paddle boat ride while the other three adults (well, I didn't help that much--Abby and Dan have it down to an art form) cleaned up and got ready to go.  They were gone a little longer than we expected and it turns out they were illegally collecting lily pads (Daddy didn't know it was illegal).  Much to Hannah's dismay, I refused to allow them in the car--they smelled like rotting fish and we can't have the lily pad police chasing after us, can we? 
The return trip--girls proudly holding their lily pads before I crushed their little dreams. ;)
The following weekend we were invited to spend a day at the cottage we refer to as "Kate's Cottage".  Hannah's very best friend, Kate also has a family cottage.  This one is a little more of a drive than Grace's cottage, but another super fun get away and another reason we have only seen Kate during the week most of the summer.

They also have boats, a dock and a beach.  Kate's parents were impressed at how our kids just jumped right in--I guess they are pros a lake life now. :)
And jump they did--Nathan and Kate's brother, Grant.
Sarah, Kate and Hannah--group jump.
Sarah and Kate's dog, Rosie--a Golden Doodle.  We met her when she was teeny.  Now, not so much, but we love her.  She's such a sweetheart.
The kids all got to go tubing--we never thought we'd see the day that this little person who didn't even like the free falling feeling of a swing, would actually go tubing behind a boat.  They loved it!
They looked so tiny back there!  We had such a great time both weekends.  I'm trying to keep an open mind about this camping thing, but I know I'll be super happy to be back in my own bed Sunday night.







No comments:

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet