Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Another Year Has Gone By


Click here to view this video

He's nine years old and it has been way too long since he's had a video montage so I started this one where the last one left off...with a 5 year old.

Nine year olds never want to come in for dinner, never want to take a bath and always use bad words in front of grandmas according to "Love You Forever" book.  Our nine year old does not use bad words (in front of any of us anyway) and comes in for dinner pretty easily, but I concur on the bath situation and sometimes, like the mother in the book, I'd like to sell him to the zoo.  Like the mother in the book, I'm thankful for the quiet moments we share when he'll let me snuggle (although I don't sneak into his room and rock my giant nine year old while he's sleeping--just try to move him back to a normal sleeping position from the crazy sideways one). 

He's old enough to know that I was working on this post when he went to bed last night after watching the third Pirates movie with Daddy and that I was working on it again when he got up just now.  He's also old enough to think I'm weird to quote "Love You Forever" in reference to him as he reads over my shoulder and to watch closely that I post nothing to embarrass him--although he hasn't said anything--I just know the look.  In this much changed world from the one his mom and dad grew up in, we try to figure out daily just what he is old enough to do and to let go.  But it's hard.  Like I told Sarah last night--they will still be my babies even when they are grandmas and grandpas.  I talk tough about being ready for them to grow up and the freedom that will come, but just show me a mother walking with her newborn as I was nine years ago and I melt.



He's starting fourth grade in two weeks.  He's planning to play flag football this fall, basketball for the winter and baseball in the spring.  We're all coming to terms with the way the sports thing works in the new America and we're trying to keep ourselves in check.  He did get an iPod touch for his birthday after so, so much discussion (especially on mom's part) about the rules that will go along with it.  Rule number one: he saved up and paid for half of it.  He spent his real birthday at home with just mom at least for an hour or two until a friend called--he was outta here.  His sisters dressed up for a birthday dinner at Chili's (his request--the restaurant, not his sisters' attire).  He requested that we please not have the waitresses sing and clap, free dessert or not--so we didn't.  His sisters made brownies with their friends' Sadie and Grace and Sadie was devastated when they dropped them off that he was not here for her to sing "Happy Day Nathan".  At one point he told me it was the longest day of his life, but that didn't seem like a bad thing--end of summer days pretty much all seem long to me.  We're waiting to have his birthday party after school starts for the first time ever--that feels really strange and we're not sure if it will make attendance worse or better, but we mostly decided it was best because of our month of visitors.  He wants an ice cream cake and a sports party so I'm off the hook to make the cake, but really, really need a rain free September 10th.  Not sure our basement can handle that much testosterone should we have to move it inside. 

Well, since this post is probably embarrassing enough just by its existence, I must close now before the inkling of pre-teen rears its ugly head way too soon, in my opinion.  Happy Birthday, Nathan!  We love you, Dude.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Happy Birthday Nathan! Fourth grade... can not believe that!

Kat said...

Happy Birthday Nathan! Fourth grade... can not believe that!

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet