Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Mucho Nacho: Flashback Edition

I started spring cleaning a few weeks ago. It will take way more than one spring to accomplish what needs to be done.  This house is a beast.  The "Honey-Do" (or in some cases "Honey-Order/Take Care Of) is ongoing.  Just the nature of home ownership, I guess. We did mark off one thing this weekend.
The room in most desperate need of painting was painted this weekend.  It was a kind of sickly yellow color not painted over an interesting pink (though not very well, hence the knowledge of the color change) with some sort of vine pattern poorly covered on the ceiling.  There were marks everywhere, grease, footprints?  Who knows?  Our efforts on the ceiling are not professional grade, but in real life it looks pretty good. The ambition to paint the bathroom at the same time died some time on Sunday.
A little glimpse of the before...
We finally took the time to work on our garden.  We are so, so far behind compared to last year.  We didn't have the urging of a cabbage plant or a giant sunflower from school this year.  The strawberries came back.  I had no idea that would happen.  I also think a tomato plant is still there some how.  No idea if that is even possible, but we're calling it a tomato plant anyway.  The raspberry plant did not love life in a planter last year, but this year has a new spot in the garden.  We should call this more an experiment than a garden. We are sticking with the favorites from last year: broccoli, cucumbers, carrots and spinach.  We added lettuce, bell peppers and nachos.
Of course it isn't a nacho plant, but it was so fun telling Sarah that it would be.  Why does the card read mucho nacho? No idea, but I like it.
Finally bought and planted flowers for the first time since Mema helped us plant at our old house here.  I love begonias and the fact that almost no one can kill them is a super bonus for me.  I'm not sure if bunnies will eat them not.  Awesome how I just do things having no idea what I'm doing isn't it?
Awww, such little people living in our house in May of 2006.  The real gardener puts my sad little row of begonias to shame, but you gotta start somewhere, right? 

There were also kids to feed an water this weekend.  We did a little bit more than that.  They were both at the gym pool and the neighbor's pool for most of the day yesterday.  Daddy came home from Germany on Friday night to an only child.  The older two had sleepovers.  Well, actually one came home from baseball practice just long enough to say "hey Dad",  grab his stuff and then be dropped off at his friend's house--where he stayed for over 24 hours.  Much needed date night on Saturday night.  Not so much for them, but they got a babysitter, hot dogs for dinner and to fall asleep in our bed watching TV.  Not too shabby.

They survived.  Yesterday was hot.  Texas hot, but today we're back to pleasant.  Windows open tonight.  Good thing because the upstairs a/c does not ever turn off on the Texas hot days.  It isn't even really summer yet and I just had to call and order a new part for broken vacuum, we just replaced a broken TV and I also had the joy of calling to inform our mortgage company that they messed up and need to charge us more.  Grown up stuff.  Good times.
And here is just a little glimpse of what the office looks like when time is spent on grooming the outdoors, "spring" cleaning blinds/curtains/baseboards, painting bedrooms, etc.  A photo tour of the rest of the mess might start an anxiety attack, so I won't do that.  Instead I'll start on little people duty and I'll start back to work on the rest tomorrow.  Oh, wouldn't it be nice to go back to the age of actually believing that nachos just might grow in your garden?


No comments:

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet