Parent-teacher conferences came and went. Feels like a long time ago now. The kids are doing well. Most of my unanswered questions involve the soon to be middle schooler as we work through this parenting of tween thing imperfectly, but with the best of intentions.
He's a good kid and doing very well in school. I realize much of what I nag him about comes from my own insecurity as a parent. What will people think of me? How does this make me look? Imperfectly, I remember that it isn't really about me. He is a person and he ultimately will make his own choices. There is no perfect parenting and there is no instruction book.
Baseball is in full effect. Dad's job in New Jersey calls for much less travel which has allowed him to be at every single practice and scrimmage so far. And that has been significant. I have yet to meet anyone on the team yet. Opening day is Saturday and I will finally get to see him in action. Although we had no idea of the ins and outs when he showed up to Little League try-outs a couple of months ago, this is the first year he and his classmates were old enough to try out for the Majors. Not all of them made it and he did. Several parents have mentioned to me how much it means to the boys when they make the majors. I am not sure what these people I am just meeting expect me to say about it, but we are humbled and thankful. He did his best and he knows what it feels like not to make a team. He's been on both sides and that is really what this whole experience is about. Learning.
The field trip to Museum of Natural History did not disappoint. Hannah was so incredibly excited. She spent the day with very kind mothers who have included both of us in so many things in such a short time. We both have been truly blessed to make friends with these families so quickly. She was one of the few kids who did not have a parent along on this field trip and I really wish I could have been there.
They sent me texts with this pic and updates. She bought "Penguini" and a popsicle with the money I sent. She had a blast. It helped her forget that she was missing the trip to Geer School in Michigan this week--we spent yesterday looking at all of her adorable friends dressed in 1800's clothing as they spent the day in a one room school house built in the 1800's. We missed the experience with Nathan too and I am bummed because it looks like such a great one. We just had to live vicariously.
Easter came and went. We had semi-warm weather. They had Good Friday off from school. We went on a family play date and Hannah went on her first sleep over--she has since had two more here. The older two had another group play date with a brother Nathan's age and twin girls Hannah's age later that day. Nathan has decided to participate in the 5th Grade Talent Show next month and they were practicing their skit: a spoof on "So You Think You Can Dance". They started practicing this week after school. Should be very interesting.
I love that Nathan picked out the tie on his own. Even if it is too short and crooked--he wasn't forced to wear it. He only has sneakers. I guess we should remedy that at some point.
You would never know that this fancy family lunched at Taco Bell after church. We had the traditional ham and non-traditional steak for dinner. Tradition Schmadition.
Sometimes they love show the love. She adores him even if she would never admit it. He's a pretty good brother too.
Spring break was last week. We started off the week with well checks all around. Everyone is growing and doing well. This is the second year in a row that the girls' weight has been discussed in front of them and it is something that makes me very uncomfortable. Again there is that part of me that feels like I am being judged and criticized so I tend to over-react and cause all kinds of unnecessary drama. The medical person in me knows that they are just taking advantage of the very little window they have to discuss their growth and development. It just feels like a personal attack when I am the one cooking and shopping. Moving on.
Spring is slowly coming. Today is very dark and gloomy, but we've had some beautiful days waiting at the bus stop. The trampoline is up and with the longer days, they have had time to get out and enjoy it along with the swing set, bikes and just exploring our enormous yard. I can't complain because at least we have not had snow in April and even with all of the blooming, allergies are being managed with medication.
This year I had to send cyber cheers to my Brussels girls in Florida. Just couldn't make it work this year with the move, big expensive plane tickets and a car rental to purchase for Texas and spring break falling at the same time. I missed them, but there's always next time.
Sarah has been consistently asking for piano lessons. I bought books and have sat down repeatedly (though inconsistently) to teach her and have felt like I just don't have what it takes. This week we finally got her into a music studio for a lesson. She sat there and she did most of what she was asked, but this just isn't the right fit. I quickly learned from watching this guy, that what I have been doing with her is really just what you have to do. There is so much to teach and it is slow going at first. I plan to go and let them know today that she won't be back next week. She might be ready a little later, but for now a 30 minute scheduled lesson with a guy who doesn't really know what a 6 year old kindergartner is capable of, just isn't going to work. We sat down for about 15 minutes last night and worked on some of what he taught her and she did great. This just wasn't the right environment. Another good thing is that Hannah was able to experience what a music lesson was like--she sat in--and I could tell it sparked an interest. Maybe I'll be able to get her to sit down and learn to play some as well. I feel really guilty for missing that window with her.
After way too much time thinking about it, we decided to go ahead with the carpeting the stairs. I don't know why it felt like such a big decision, but I don't do well with decorating projects. It just felt so permanent. And expensive.
Speaking of expensive...Max was one of the reasons we wanted carpeting on the stairs. He could not go up and down them without carpeting on them--which hasn't been a huge problem, but still limiting. His teeth have been put on a back burner through the move and they are awful. Lots need to be pulled and of course, they need to be cleaned. He went in for his lab work only to find out he had a bladder infection. Several trips to the vet and several hundred dollars later, his teeth are no cleaner than before. He's on antibiotics for another week or so with another test to follow. Almost 13 years ago when we brought home a cute little white puppy, I never thought about how I'd one day be finding just the right cup to collect his urine and shoving pills in his mouth twice a day all to keep from having to hold my breath to keep from gagging when he yawns in the same room.
There is more to tell. More of the same. But at this very moment a very excited young lady has finished counting her pennies, quarters and dimes that she has been saving up for a bright light pillow and I am her ride.


No comments:
Post a Comment