Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A New Vocabulary

Muzzy arrived today. (AKA a very expensive French language program recommended by Joe's cousin Peter.) The kids were super excited to watch the DVDs and play the games. We watched the first three parts and I think I can see how it works. According to the literature, my brain is way past the ideal age for language learning (1-12 years), but I am determined to learn at least enough to get by and to communicate with my children who are at the perfect ages to learn.
We started the kids in Spanish classes this past fall. Senora Jennifer is a friend of ours from church and her daughter, Emily, is a good friend of Nathan's and her son, Aaron, adores Hannah. We were amazed at how much Hannah learned not even being two years old. Of course, we were told that even kids who aren't speaking much at all, can absorb a second language, but in 6 weeks we didn't expect much and she was learning Spanish. We aren't going to continue the classes because of the chaos in our lives, but I love that the two of them throw Spanish words out every once in a while.
It was like someone turned on a switch in each of our children right when they turned two years old. Even though we saw it with Nathan, it has been equally amazing with Hannah. Before we moved, my mom was riding in the car with Hannah, Nathan and I and she commented that if Hannah was as much of a "chatterbox" as Nathan, we were never going to get a word in. Well, that pretty much describes our lives. Before those two are in bed Joe and I hardly get to say two words to each other. They both have quite a lot to say. I love it, most of the time. For instance, tonight as I called them upstairs for their bath. Hannah, already naked, as usual and Nathan searching for his Power Rangers that can go into the bathtub, I said, "Come on Crazys, lets go take a bath!" Hannah was quick to retort, "I not crazy. I Hannah". She really cracks me up. Today, I apologized to the kids for being such a slug the last two days. I said I'm just so tired and don't feel very good right now. Hannah leaned over and said very seriously, "Your Baby Sarah hurts?" Her voice was full of concern and the look on her face showed just as much concern and love. Awwww, I love these kids.
Our vocabulary has expanded in other ways as well. Neither Joe nor I had been to Europe prior to all of this (he has been now, but I still haven't). When we started talking to others about moving to Belgium, we heard a lot of positive things about Brussels and many remarked on the statue, Mannequin Pis. We have heard Pis, pronounced "pees" by most Americans, but on the Travel Channel and by those in Brussels we heard "piss". While searching for library books last Friday, I looked for some children's books on Belgium. I found one. It is the story of a boy who peed on a war. The story of Mannequin Pis. I checked it out and brought it home because it was funny, but wasn't sure about reading it to the kids. We normally don't read books to them about bodily functions unless we are discussing potty training so I wasn't sure how appropriate it would be. Since Nathan came home last week telling me that they aren't allowed to say "What the heck?" at his school, my thoughts went to him coming home in the future telling me he's not allowed to talk about peeing at his school either. All weekend I left the book in the office and didn't mention it to him. Today I was reading our travel guide on Belgium and Nathan asked to see the pictures. He immediately asked to see the little boy peeing. I thought Joe had read him the children's book over the weekend, but he hadn't. Nathan just really pays attention to what we say and if it involves a little boy peeing, he probably pays much, much more attention. So tonight I read the story of Mannequin Pis to my children. If anyone had told me I would be reading a story to them about a little boy peeing on a war, I would have said they were crazy. Oh how things change.

No comments:

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet