Thursday, March 20, 2008

Independent


Because this is the way our lives are some days, after a busy morning helping coordinate Hannah's class Easter party and then picking up Nathan from his Easter party, we rushed home to change a dirty diaper, eat lunch and wrap up a birthday present for Nathan's friend David who is having his party this afternoon. Mommy was cleaning up lunch and putting away the millions of things that come home with two kids after Easter parties and before a two week break from school, along with the 20 potted plants we are watching for Hannah's class over the break, so without a word, Nathan started working on his friend's birthday card on his own. He was quietly working when he called out, "Mom, I know how to spell David, but what else do I need to put on the card?"

Suddenly, I remembered that I was going to help him make the card "right after lunch". Oops!

So I called back, "You need 'To' and 'From' and your name."

He answered, "Okay" and kept working.

A few minutes later he came into the laundry room where I was cleaning up the never ending mud that follows us into our home each day.

"Mom, how does this look?"

He showed me the card on which he had drawn a picture of Spiderman and it read,

"Dayvid

To and From

Nathan"

I didn't have time to take a picture because as I said in the beginning, this is the way life is some days! But I love it and him! Time to go and pick up my big, independent boy right now...party's over.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Independent and perfectly innocent. I love the Ikea story, too!

Kellee said...

Well he did what you said, mom. Bonus points for listening & following directions!

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet