Lately Nathan has become enthralled with the Bible and the stories in it. He has always amazed me with how much he listens in Sunday School and can retell the stories so well. He is no longer interested in the "baby" Bibles we have. These past few weeks he has chosen my childhood Bible, The Children's Living Bible as one of his books to read before bed. This Bible has a few pictures in it, but it is basically a real, grown up Bible. Books, chapters, verses, tiny words, thin pages and all. So when he asked me to find the story of the Prodigal Son the other evening and I couldn't find it so easily, I realized I am going to have to do my homework in order to read from this Bible. Especially when I am by myself with two cranky sisters to put down and a stack of other books to read. Though his sisters are completely unable to pay attention to this book, he is so interested and how can I discourage that?
As I was looking for the Prodigal Son story, I came across his name in the Bible so I showed it to him. He was thrilled, "Oh yeah! Read this part to me, please!" Because the girls just couldn't handle anymore, I promised him I would look up the stories in the Bible with each of their names and read them to him another night. He was satisfied.
So today I did my homework and tonight read them each a part of their namesake's story. Even Hannah was interested in "her" story, but my pronunciation of Hebrew names is pathetic so while reading about Hannah in the Bible, I kept pronouncing her husband's other wife's name so that it sounded kind of like banana and our Hannah kept asking, "Why is she called, Banana?"
As always, when my children lead me to God, I learned something today. Their names are all of Hebrew origin (not surprising since they are all in the Old Testament).
Nathan means "He gave" or "Gift of God". One Nathan in the Bible was a prophet at the time of David's reign. We read 1 Chronicles 17:1-15 tonight, but he is also mentioned in 2 Samuel 12:1-15. Another Nathan was the 3rd son of David, listed in the genealogy of Jesus in Luke 3. (I did not know that).
Hannah means "Grace". She was the mother of Samuel and we read about her in 1 Samuel 1-2:21.
Sarah means "princess" and she was the wife of Abraham and mother of Isaac. We read a little bit of her story in Genesis 15-21.
Not such a subtle reminder that I have fallen behind on my Bible reading since I have had to miss the Bible study so often with Daddy gone, right?
I think I will have to take notes and study hard to keep up with my little guy. During bath time tonight I just took in his enthusiasm and joy for life. He told me all about how his class just celebrated Passover with their Jewish classmate. They had some unleavened bread and some wine about which he said, "Not for grownups, it was children's wine, Mom." (I have no idea what that means). He was full of questions about so many things--
Who wrote the Bible?
Lots of People. In my Bible downstairs there are some pages that tell a little about who wrote each book.
(This was so exciting to him). Can you read those pages to me one day?
I was really having to think about the answers and for some of them I just had to say that I don't know. Because we live with him, I think we don't realize how inquisitive and articulate he can be, but he went home with another mom last week and she told me that at times she felt she was conversing with a 12 year old. Tonight, I was feeling about the same way. But I'm sitting here with my Children's Bible opened, reading and enjoying the stories again. Have I mentioned how God uses these children to reach me? I'm listening.
I just want to remember this time in his life. I am amazed and inspired by him. Better get back to preparing for tomorrow's readings.
1 comment:
Great story & as always it parallels what's going on in our lives as well.
My mom found a nightime children's Bible/devotional. We read it every night. It's just a verse, a very story behind the verse, a practical application that kids can understand & a prayer. We read it after our "secular" books. They seem to enjoy it but some of the questions it provokes are challenging for me. Unfortunately I find myself saying, "I don't know...we'll have to look that up" more often than not.
The most challenging question of them all came from Garrett the other day. "Mommy, who made God?"
Hmm....I think I was probably in my 30's before that question even entered my mind. Not sure if that says more about me or him.
Post a Comment