Wednesday, April 23, 2008

One Year Ago Today





We were boarding an Amsterdam bound plane. Tomorrow officially marks our one year anniversary living in Belgium. In celebration of our first year here, the weather has become as gorgeous as it was when we arrived last year.

This week has been so much better than the past two weeks without Daddy. (Doesn't mean we aren't counting the days until Daddy gets back, of course.) I'm so thankful to God for helping me actually use these gifts He has given me. I am amazed at how much more in tune I am feeling with each of them.

This afternoon I took the kids along with a friend to swimming (his mom is out of town) and when we got home the boys ran to the trampoline and left Hannah behind. This is exactly the way she seems to be feeling lately, left behind. She tried unsuccessfully to "play" with Sarah, who was crawling away crying while Hannah pulled on her pants. Now this is the part where I normally become very frustrated and start yelling. Instead God put my heart in a different place and I was able to think about how tired and hungry she must be after a such a full day. I started cutting up some fruit and called her into the kitchen letting her know I really needed her help. Tears stopped instantly. She was so happy putting the fruit into the bowl and walked around mixing it with her little spoon. She called the boys for dinner being sure to let them know that "Mommy needed my help to make dinner so I had to make this fruit salad". I'm so thankful to God for giving me the insight into her little soul. How simple.

A friend brought a smile to my face this afternoon when she pulled me aside to tell me how highly she thinks of Nathan. She said that her son has been having a hard time with swimming at school and today when he was crying before they got in the pool, Nathan took him by the hand and swam with him. Each time they got out, Nathan would take his hand and pat him on the back. I told her that Nathan is a pretty sensitive kid and he has had moments of tears from fear of swimming himself. He has such a great heart. I'm so thankful for that glimpse into his day.
We're so blessed.

2 comments:

The Lenz Family said...

Well, happy anniversary yourselves!

That is so sweet of Hannah and Nathan. You have really good kids. I know you are proud of them. I miss them and you!

Kat said...

Happy one year anniversary. I would say there are many reasons to celebrate. Your kids are growing up into such kind hearted kids.

Every day I see children who have families that don't see the good in them. Your children even though life goes through its ups and downs know that they are loved and some one is always there for them. You are giving them a gift that I wish every child could have.

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet