Friday, April 25, 2008

She Takes The Time


The World Around Me from tsechief on Vimeo.


Lately the weather has been nice enough for the girls and I to walk to school each afternoon to "collect" Nathan. This is my favorite part of where we live. I love spending the time with the girls as we walk to the school and the time with all three of them as we walk home. It feels like we can really talk rather than having shouted conversations across the car during our really quick drive home.


Because they do play for 1-2 hours on the playground after school, they do occasionally balk at the idea of walking "all the way home". Especially Nathan who usually ends up walking because I insist his sisters should be in the stroller or wagon and not a 5 1/2 year old. However, it is always short lived and once we start walking, talking and picking up treasures along the way home, everyone is happy. Often Hannah chooses to walk home too.


Today I took a little video of our walk to school. As everything has slowly begun to bloom, our walk time has extended a bit. Hannah truly takes the time to take it all in and must check out every single thing of beauty along the way. She reminds me to "stop and smell the roses" myself. We leave with plenty of time so that she can walk and stop and point things out and pick a wildflower here and there. The child has been dying to pick some tulips, but she finally seems to get which flowers she can pick and which ones she can't. I couldn't film the entire walk because once we get out of the neighborhood the traffic gets a bit crazy and we cross an entrance to a freeway. I fully intended to take pictures of the kids playing on the playground at school, but got busy pushing the swings and walking a certain someone around the playground while holding her two hands. No wonder they are all sleeping so soundly tonight.


Little Miss Sarah did throw her first public tantrum. I think she surprised everyone there even though on a scale of 1 to 10 it was about a 4 compared to some other tantrums we've witnessed (ahem). I removed her from the slide she was playing on because some boys were interested in using it and she was not having it. She would not let me hold her or comfort her at all. She laid down on the ground until another mom picked up her hands to walk her and she proceeded to lead her directly to the slide so she could finish. She only played for a minute or so and then was ready to walk on. I'm thankful another mom was willing to walk her around so that I could push Princess Hannah on the swing. Last night a very good friend gave Hannah an outgrown Snow White gown. She begged and begged to wear it on the walk today, but I talked her into the fairy dress under her jeans and shirt instead. I am so used to her being dressed this way that I don't even think about it until I see the knowing smiles as we pass other moms.


So Daddy, we had another good day, give or take a moment or two. We miss you and keep counting the nights we have left to see you...

4 comments:

Kat said...

I know that the 3's aren't always easy but watching Hannah in this video is so much fun. She looks so happy and I can't wait for julia to grow up so I can watch her at that stage. She is a pistol right now and so much fun but I get so excited for the next thing.

The Lenz Family said...

Too cute! Your girls are so sweet. This totally makes me miss Belguim, but mainly because you guys are there!

Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Tse Family--Thanks for commenting on my blog and sharing your story! I would love to profile your family--it sounds like you're swimming in quite the polylingual soup! You might want to check out my profile of Jeanne's family--they're successfully teaching several different languages to young children a little bit at a time, and her ideas may help and inspire you too!

If you'd like a copy of the questionnaire that I use for the profiles, please email me at babybilingual (at) gmail (dot) com.

PS: I love the name of your blog!

Kellee said...

Thanks for the smiles & the reminders to stop frequently along my journey to just enjoy my surroundings.

These little girls (although stinkers at times) sure are teaching us some lessons, huh? Wow...we are blessed.

Love you!

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet