I have always said that I have no artistic ability and no one has ever really disputed that, until we moved here. After I made that statement to a very good friend here, she said that people shouldn't make statements like that because it just isn't true. She feels very strongly about encouraging children to use their creativity and negative statements like that one definitely don't encourage. Well, she was so right. I just meant that I don't draw well, but the fact is, I really don't like to draw so I have never really tried all that hard. I don't really enjoy projects enough to make hobbies out of them, but as I have learned from the current project I'm working on for Hannah's class, I do enjoy them from time to time. After thinking about what my friend said, I realized that art comes in a million different forms as an outlet for creativity and we all have creativity. I consider this blog a form of art as a matter of fact. It has definitely been an outlet for me over these last few years.
I am so thankful that my friend pointed out the error of my ways so that I don't make negative statements about my "art" anymore. My children love, love, love projects. Nathan is more than motivated by his art teacher at school. He was actually very enthralled with our visit to the Louvre and picked out an I Spy book of art because he recognized a painting by Matisse on the cover. Yes, my 5 1/2 year old actually said, "Oh, Mr. T taught us about that picture. It's Matisse." I had to take his word for it (I did check inside the book, though) because I haven't studied art, but after seeing his enthusiasm (and the amazing Louvre) I feel more motivated to do so.
I am sharing some of the art we have been working on in our house as of late. Today Nathan drew this picture of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle for his friend's birthday card. I was completely impressed. You'll also find the more abstract drawing of "Sponge Bob with a Crabby Patty" created by Hannah. (After she named her drawing, Nathan commented, "That's what all that yellow stuff is?") There is also a picture of a clay sculpture of our family that Nathan made at school. He inadvertently left one person out so he said it must have been before Sarah was born. And lastly, the tray that I and some other moms have been working on for the last few weeks to be auctioned off on Family Day at school--it is still in progress. I think I must have failed Group Work 101 (did I take that class?) in college, because I have not done well with making this a group project. Honestly, there aren't tons of people interested in helping, but there are a few and we just couldn't get our schedules together to work on it at the same time. It must be taken into account that when I did group work in school, I was not juggling a small group of children in the meantime. One poor lady has wanted to help out more than she's been able to, but the best time for her is when he son is at school. Clearly that doesn't work well for me. Well, somehow I ended up with the project at my house I and keep working on it by myself because I think it will make it go faster when we actually do the group work. I am not in any way taking credit. It was for sure a collaboration of ideas and thoughts. I think it is just more motivating to finish something when it has been sitting in your living room for over a month! Okay, okay I'm also a tiny bit of a control freak.
No comments:
Post a Comment