Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Genetics


Last night I was on my own for bed time. Hannah chose "Sleeping Beauty" (as usual), Sarah chose a "Dora "book and Nathan chose "Freckle Juice" from his library books. This is quite a lot of reading, but I was pleasantly surprised that all three kids sat and quietly listened to all 3 books.


As I was tucking them in, Hannah looked at me frowning and said, "I don't like freckles!"


I had a little talk with her about how freckles are nice and she shouldn't say that because it might hurt some one's feelings. Then she and Nathan began to discuss that they do not know anyone who has freckles...until Nathan remembered that he does!

Because both of the kids really like this little girl and her family, they were very excited to know that she has freckles just like in the book. For some reason I mentioned that the little girl "gets her freckles from her dad". I did not expect the look of horror I got from my son. "You mean she takes them off of him and puts them on herself?"


"No, no. That is just how you say that someone looks like her father or mother. Like you have some things that look like me and some things that look like Daddy, right?"


Nathan seemed relieved, "Oh right, like we have the same color hair..."


Hannah very excitedly jumped right in, "And yeah, like Daddy has hair on his legs and so do I and so does Sarah. So we get that from him!"


She did not like that I laughed, but come on. I absolutely couldn't help myself. You would have laughed too...right?

3 comments:

The Lenz Family said...

Oh, am I ever laughing! I love how kids learn, process, and analyze things. It's so innocent and sweet. I miss you guys so much!

Amy Hayter said...

Yep, I laughed out loud as I read it! So cute... Glad you guys are enjoying some snow. We have had A LOT over the last couple of weeks. I was skiing powder over my knees last Friday!

Katie said...

They are so sweet. I love the way little kids look at the world!

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet