Nathan: Ooh, Hannah, I just heard a bad word in that song. He said, "I'm gonna kick your B-U-T". (Belgian Radio was on rather than one of their CDs...as soon as I heard this part, we went back to listening to Hannah's Princess CD).
Hannah: What word is that?
Nathan: You know, the buh, buh, buh word...
Hannah: Oh yeah, that is a bad word.
Nathan: Well, there is another word that is badder. It starts with A and not even my friends are allowed to say that one.
Hannah: Well, your friends are your same age, so I think your teacher might say it.
Nathan: No, not even my teacher says that one.
Hannah: Not even my teacher would say it.
Nathan: Yeah, and your teacher is definitely older than mine.
THE NEXT DAY:
Hannah: Mommy, you know Maleficent* says a bad word on the part where her bird can't find Princess Aurora. And sometimes you say that word, right Mommy?
Me: Yes, sometimes Mommy says things she shouldn't say.
Hannah: Maleficent is older than you though, Mommy. She is soooooo old. If you ever want to be a witch, you'll have to get much, much older.
Apparently, the older one gets, the more curse words one is permitted to use and my children are very aware of who is older than whom in regards to this matter. Also, apparently, I am not a witch....yet.
*(For the Disney Princess challenged, Maleficent is the villain in Sleeping Beauty and the "bad word" is "idiot"--I would say in this case it is justified. I mean, her evil helpers were looking for a baby for 16 years).
Today, Another Topic: (We have recently switched to cloth napkins and have talked about saving trees by using less paper).
Hannah: It is good that we don't use napkins anymore so they can still grow on trees. We have to pay for our house, Nathan. It isn't free, you know. We don't even have a house. We just borrow one, but we still have to pay for it, right Mommy?
Me: Yes, that is right. We have to pay rent. We have to pay for everything we use and do. That is why Daddy works so hard every day.
Hannah: Well, he doesn't work every day. Does he pay for everything? What about the free things?
Me: Nothing is free.
Hannah: School is free.
Me: Oh no, your school is definitely not free.
Nathan: Well, some schools are free.
Me: No, schools are not free. They still cost money even if they are paid in a different way.
(After a few more guesses from both of them about things that might be free...)
Me: There really isn't very much that is free. Just about everything costs something.
Nathan: Hugs are free.
Hannah: Kisses are free.
3 comments:
Gosh, they crack me up! I love how kids interpret things.
Tell them that Miss Sydney sends lots and lots of free hugs and kisses to them and to the whole family. Miss you guys!
Awe, this was just too sweet! I have a feeling though, my kids have heard worse than idiot! I love the dialogue and can't wait for more from my own.
Oh, my kids have heard worse than idiot too, but for whatever reason they didn't bring those up. Under stress, my language is not pretty. They focus on the words that they hear from friends and Disney because they are surprised that others can use words that we ask them not to use. I wish I had their self control, among other things.
Lately, their conversations on our drive to school have been the highlight of my day. I laugh for at least 5 minutes every morning. Can't ask for more than that!
Post a Comment